Under the medical reform, will we need to obtain a fresh third class for a new rating?

• Thread starter SoonToBeIFRRatedPPL
  • Start date
S

SoonToBeIFRRatedPPL

My third class expires next year and I'm looking at finally getting my IFR as soon as I trade up to an IFR equipped plane. Will I need to go through the AME/Third Class Medical process once more for the new rating or will the third class exemption reform cover me for the new rating?

Also, does the reform apply only to fixed wing or does it also apply to rotorcraft?

No new medical required as long as yours was valid within 10 years prior to when the bill passes.

No new medical required as long as yours was valid within 10 years prior to when the bill passes.
I'm the OP. Thanks for that answer! Looks like I'll never need to do an AME physical again, just the 2 year FAA/AOPA training and the 4 year family doc physical. Thanks to EAA/AOPA for getting this pushed through! :)

But don't let the subject of your question hold you back from obtaining the rating or the aircraft, should the right opportunity happen before July 17, 2017.

If I'm currently in good health with no SI's or other complications, a 3rd class almost looks to be easier/simpler to get....

If I'm currently in good health with no SI's or other complications, a 3rd class almost looks to be easier/simpler to get....

Ya, because you're not trying to convince your primary care physician to sign off on some new form they've never seen before.

I showed my PCP the list of things he would need to check for the exam as well as the declaration he would have to sign and he said it would be no problem. We're going to do it during my physical next year.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back