UNDER MY WINGS, Capt. Basil Rowe

j1b3h0

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Doug
Great first chapter about a DC-4 with a runaway prop halfway between Hawaii and the mainland. Then the author takes us way back to when airplanes were very primitive - and dangerous. Doubly so, when the terrain over which they're flown is mostly jungle with hungry critters strewn about the landscape! Capt Rowe was one of the earliest Pan Am clipper pilots, and flew throughout the Caribbean and South America...until the country was thrust into war, and, like many veteran pilots of the time, was on loan from Pan Am to the U.S. Air Transport Command, where he flew all manner 4-engined airliners quite literally around the world, navigating by the stars, delivering the oddest parts, cargo and secret personnel. I found the book very enjoyable.

Sounds like an enjoyable read. I would love to see a 314 Clipper in the air today, although it will never happen.

There were 39 of them built but none remain. Some of them were abandoned at sea and shelled/sunk so as not to be hazards to navigation. One of those at Oshkosh would create quite a stir.

Where did you find a copy of that book? I want to get one.

Sounds like it might be a good book for purchase.

Back