Under a Class c- What airspace

c310flyr

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
c310flyr
I think I'm having a brain freeze.

If you are operating under the floor of a Class Charlie, are you in a class e to the surface as far as airspace ?

It may not matter and be only an academic matter, but just wondering if someone could technically be below 700 feet above the surface in an area like that and be operating with 1 mile and clear of clouds, or is it considered to be Class e to the surface ?

Thanks

I believe even under Bravo you can find class G (uncontrolled) airspace. E.g. look at KLDJ below Newark's bravo.

Class E to surface depicted a as dashed magenta (look at Martha's Vineyard. KMVY. Approaching from the East you will be in class E to the surface.
I think I'm having a brain freeze.

If you are operating under the floor of a Class Charlie, are you in a class e to the surface as far as airspace ?

It may not matter and be only an academic matter, but just wondering if someone could technically be below 700 feet above the surface in an area like that and be operating with 1 mile and clear of clouds, or is it considered to be Class e to the surface ?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If it wasn't G, what would be the point of the class e/g markings under class C like here:

upload_2018-9-4_14-43-16.png

Just to be clear, there is E under the bravo over KLDJ, but it ends at 700 agl, below that, G

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks.
I was referring to the Charlie at Albany NY, KALB

Thanks.
I was referring to the Charlie at Albany NY, KALB
So in the outer rings, below the floor of the Charlie, you would have Class E down to 700AGL and than Class G from 699’AGL to the surface.

Underneath the floor of Class C, the airspace is the same as if the Class C didn't exist.

If it wasn't G, what would be the point of the class e/g markings under class C like here:

View attachment 66889

Example: launch a rocket from Abrams (4D0), it goes through Class G from the Surface to 700 ft AGL (1541 MSL), then Class E from 1541 MSL to 2099 MSL, Then Class C from 2100 to 4900, then Class E from 4900 to 17999.

Brian

Aw man, the Miss Albany Diner closed?

Example: launch a rocket from Abrams (4D0), it goes through Class G from the Surface to 700 ft AGL (1541 MSL), then Class E from 1541 MSL to 2099 MSL, Then Class C from 2100 to 4900, then Class E from 4900 to 17999.

Brian
But to reach 17999 feet, then it is likely a class 2 or 3 rocket and per 101.25 you can not operate:
"(e) Within 9.26 kilometers (5 nautical miles) of any airport boundary without prior authorization from the FAA;
(f) In controlled airspace without prior authorization from the FAA;"

Also, 101.27 would apply (notify ATC)

But to reach 17999 feet, then it is likely a class 2 or 3 rocket and per 101.25 you can not operate:
"(e) Within 9.26 kilometers (5 nautical miles) of any airport boundary without prior authorization from the FAA;

He also left out the fact that the rocket would more than likely pass into Class A airspace too, and ultimately go into orbit.

:)

Noted, unless it is a Harmon Rocket, but then the vertical Ascent would be a bit unlikely but possibly close.

and likely someone will be along shortly to point out the practical implications of the airspace below the Class C as described.

Not quite.

Interesting. They have the 700' agl title for class g in the wrong spot (unless I'm missing something).

I agree the image you posted that the 700 foot title doesn't make sense, since I don't know of any Class E/G transitions lower than 700 AGL. The diagram shows a lower transition that is not the surface, but doesn't say what altitude that transition is.

Brian

Care to elaborate?

I think he was meaning how they drew the picture. See post #5. The G is shown with 2 levels. Between the C and D they label it 1200 over the high level. To the left of the B they have the 700 label but they left the picture of the 1200 ‘bump up.’ They should have left it flat there.

Back