undefined allergies - what to do?

U

Unregistered

Over the past 5-6 months, I have had a couple of instances of what can only be described as an allergic reaction (all-over itching, feel heated and flushed, blood pressure spike) to unknown substances. The episodes are random, no connection to a specific food or situation; the only connection is that the symptoms always came on within 5-10 minutes of having food or beverages from commercial establishments (different one each time), places I've been to in the past with no problem, foods I've had before.

the first time it happened, it was a bit usettling.... a trip to an urgent care center led to an IM steroid and some benadryl to bring down the fever and stop the itching. In speaking to a physician friend off-line about it (not my AME), he indicated that it may be some problem of cross-contamination, perhaps a cleaning product, that I'll likely never be able to pin down.

My questions are, what do I do/report about this? Am concerned both about the next medical (what do you disclose for a mystery allergy?), and how to handle flying; I keep benadryl tabs in the car in case I need one, but I can't fly on those, maybe switching to something non-drowsy would be better? ..... Is a trip to the allergist to figure this out worthwhile, or is that opening up more cans of worms than necessary?

Advice welcome, thanks

I believe (but check it) from long ago when I suffered seasonal allergies that Allegra was on the approved list, and it worked for me. Usually Spring time now if I get it at all, and I've never bothered with a full allergy test where they narrow down what it is.

The checkbox for seasonal allergies and/or hayfever checked on the form and a couple of questions by my AME at the time, about whether or not they were so bad they were debilitating (no, never that bad) and I had a 1st or 2nd Class back then. No big deal.

P.S. Re-reading, since it seems food related... nut allergies perhaps? Or problems with something in all the darn high-fructose corn syrup that's EVERYWHERE nowadays?

Dr. Bruce Chien's email address works from this site (search for username bbchien). Send him a message with your issues and questions to get the best answer on how to report to the FAA.

If you can't find it through PoA, check his website www.aeromedicaldoc.com and look on the contact page.

the only connection is that the symptoms always came on within 5-10 minutes of having food or beverages from commercial establishments (different one each time), places I've been to in the past with no problem, foods I've had before.
I don't really know enough to answer your question, but I do have a little bit of related information about your statement above.
Virtually ALL allergic reactions are to something you have had before with no reaction. Or at least such a weak reaction that you don't notice. But your body does notice and it learns from it and it develops histamines to fight off the intruder better next time. It is the effect of those histamines fighting off the pathogens that we call an allergic reaction.
Almost all food allergies are allergies to the protein in the food.
Many people that are allergic to fish are afraid of fish oil, but in most cases, there is no problem with fish oil because it is a fat not a protein, even if it was taken from the same source.

A little bit more "off topic" are cat allergies. People that are allergic to cats think they are allergic to cat hair. But actually, they are allergic to the protein in the cat's saliva. The cat grooms with its tongue. The saliva gets on the hair and dries. That dried saliva is the dander that shakes out of the hair and it is the dried saliva (dander), not the hair people are allergic to.

Not that this answers your question, but if you are experiencing or suspecting allergies, any related information may help you understand allergies better.

In my case, food allergies seem to come and go. For the longest time, whenever I had a Diet Pepsi, I would get a few pimples or rash on my legs (no not acne:D). Any other drink with the same ingredients/artificial sweetener, no problem. Solution, no Diet Pepsi.

Now it's Diet Dr Pepper causing a rash while the Pepsi is fine since I went and checked the Pepsi. Who knows what the two drinks or my body changed but since I can avoid the problem, I'm OK.

So the fact that previously it was OK can mean little. If you have identified what you feel is the cause that's 90% of the solution.

No clue on what to report but Dr B usually advises checking with your family Physician as a first step just in case he doesn't catch this thread which is very small chance.

Cheers

Caught this one. The categoy of difficulty is "urticaria". There are familial one and environmental ones.

Antihistiamines like allegra are ok (cimetidine is not, it's sedating). But mostly you should get a diagnosis- there is a blood test for familial angioedema.

FAA certification really becomes an issue if you need bigger guns for control, and if the episodes get frequent. The allergist is EXACTLY where to go.

Yesterday, I underwent an alergy evaluation. First, the tech rubs my back with something cool and that was kind of pleasant. I am shirtless and lying on my stomach. I did not see what instruments of torture she carried into the horror chamber. First, she drew little designs all over my back and then started to stick me with different things. Some smarted, most did not. She said "We're all done" and I started to get up. She said, "No so quick. Stay there Was told to lie there for 15 minutes when a few people came into the horror chamber and began to evaluate the holes in my back. They seemed absolutely distraught as there were no red marks or blood trails on my back. I thought the horror was over and started to dress. Again, was told, Not so fast." The tech reenters with (This is no friggin lie. - Nearly 80 I spell eighty needles. Being somewhat slow, I said who are these for dreading the answer. The friggin tech showed absolute glee when she said these don't hurt much. Then she proceeded to draw marks on both arms and afterwards she stuck everyone of those eighty needles in my arms. Waited another 15 minutes and here come the unholly threesome to read my arms. Only one of the eighty holes had blood coming from it. and I was told I had a very slight reaction to Pullaria. It read 8/10. The only other item was mesquite which also was 8/10, Bottom line: I was told to come back in a year if I wanted to. I do not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back