Uncontrolled class D

TommyG

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
Has anyone seen an uncontrolled field, class D by notam only?????

I was looking at the New York sectional and noticed that KHTO east Hampton has an icon of uncontrolled field, but has a class d ring noting Class D by Notam. I haven't seen anything like this.

Nope, not the for ring, that's pretty noticeable. It is a class D ring. I am looking at the foreflight sectional.

This one is easy. It states "Class D effective by NOTAM"

Iin the summertime, this area gets very busy with private jets. So, they activate a control tower occasionally to provide separation services for all the bigwigs.

HTO has a tower which operates only in the summer (weekends only?), activated along with the D-space by NOTAM, inactive (both tower and D-space) otherwise. This is because of the seasonal aspect of air traffic on Eastern Long Island for the beach properties out there. CTAF and Tower are the same, so just call from outside the D-space and see who answers (or if nobody does).

Iin the summertime, this area gets very busy with private jets. So, they activate a control tower occasionally to provide separation services for all the bigwigs.

And somehow that's different from EAA Airventure getting busy with private pilots? How soon before they start charging those private jets for the costs of the controllers.:mad2:

Sorry for the derailment.

My home field, Pearson Field (KVUO) in Vancouver WA, has been an uncontrolled airport in its own Class D area since about 1996. FAA tells us it is the only Class D airport in the country without a control tower physically located anywhere within the Class D area.

KVUO lies within a cutout under the 1100' floor of Portland Int'l Class C. The ILS for KPDX rwy 10L crosses directly over the west end of KVUO's runway at 1,000' AGL. The Class D was established so traffic inbound to and outbound from KVUO could be required to contact ATC at Portland Tower (on a discrete frequency called "Pearson Advisory", which is also the CTAF for KVUO) for information about traffic flow and wake turbulence at KPDX. Thereafter, pilots make normal uncontrolled-airport pattern calls on the same frequency. This FAA presentation explains it.

VUO_local_130626_zps5a9a6492.jpg

Last edited:
http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KHTO/sectional shows a VOR near the airport (and thus a radial rose around the VOR -- which could be mistaken for a class D ring). It also shows that the airspace at KHTO is G from ground until 700 feet, and E at and above 700.

What NOTAM?

The FlightAware sectionals are out of date. Check skyvector or Foreflight if you have it and you'll see a clear class D ring around HTO.

The Class D was established so traffic inbound to and outbound from KVUO could be required to contact ATC at Portland Tower (on a discreet frequency called "Pearson Advisory", which is also the CTAF for KVUO) for information about traffic flow and wake turbulence at KPDX. Thereafter, pilots make normal uncontrolled-airport pattern calls on the same frequency. This FAA presentation explains it.

Hmm, I presumed the point of that Class D and the advisory was to tell departing pilots to stay out of PDX Class C.

And they don't seem to offer flight following. Really annoying (Seattle Center is a lot more accommodating).

There is nothing discreet about that frequency. It's published on the sectional.

Hmm, I presumed the point of that Class D and the advisory was to tell departing pilots to stay out of PDX Class C.
They do that too, but FAA still says the underlying purpose was and is wake turbulence advisories.

And they don't seem to offer flight following. Really annoying (Seattle Center is a lot more accommodating).
PDX Approach routinely provides FF. The "Pearson Advisory" is a position at PDX tower that is not set up for FF. Workload permitting, they will mention other observed KPDX and KVUO traffic.

There is nothing discreet about that frequency. It's published on the sectional.
:redface: Fixed it.

If you take a look at KEGE, Eagle Colorado (near Vail) on the sectional, you'll see a similar instruction. In this case to check NOTAMs for Class D and E effective hours (which might be different than the "regular" hours posted in the AFD. Similar issue to the Hamptons - a resort airport that has seasonal ebbs and flows of traffic.

If you take a look at KEGE, Eagle Colorado (near Vail) on the sectional, you'll see a similar instruction. In this case to check NOTAMs for Class D and E effective hours (which might be different than the "regular" hours posted in the AFD. Similar issue to the Hamptons - a resort airport that has seasonal ebbs and flows of traffic.

That seems to be common for part time towers.

The San Francisco sectional has the following label for PAO and NUQ, plus similar ones elsewhere around the bay (SQL, RHV, LVK, HWD, APC, STS, and CCR -- that's all the Class D airports in the area except for Travis AFB):

"See NOTAMs/Directory for Class D/E(sfc) eff hrs"

HTO has a summer tower operation which is funded by a landing fee which is not waived with fuel purchase.

Has anyone seen an uncontrolled field, class D by notam only?????

I was looking at the New York sectional and noticed that KHTO east Hampton has an icon of uncontrolled field, but has a class d ring noting Class D by Notam. I haven't seen anything like this.

KVUO is an uncontrolled field with a regularly scheduled Class D surface area.

Just saw this on my x-country and in addition to what everyone else said that's it's class E except in the summer, HTO has two runways, one is much shorter than the other.

Which would not be an "uncontrolled Class D".

Back