Uncontrolled airport: Full or partial call sign?

This really really bugs me. I rent from a place that encourages people to use their company callsign, but they rent Skycatchers, Skyhawks, Twinkies, Diamond Twin Stars, Columbia 400, Bonanza, etc etc. I have no idea what I'm looking for and a very general idea of what kind of performance to expect.

This works until someone gets on the frequency after you've made your initial callup. Which happens very often.

Exactly! Use the call sign with ATC as they can see your call sign AND your type. Let them separate and advise. But when talking directly to pilots (on the CTAF) use what helps...make / model.

I couldn't pick out a Sky Catcher from a group of four LSA's, but I know it's gonna be slow. And I'd bet 99% of the people reading these words could guess a Piaggio is relatively fast, or Hawker, or a Sovereign.

Speed isn't as big of an issue as general aircraft size/shape. Any Cessna single is fine as a Cessna. The Citations tend to call themselves Citation, the twins typical say Twin Cessna.

Nothing is as annoying as Skyventures 5. Nothing is also as annoying as people who transmit traffic reports and don't listen.

Transitioning over a nearby airport yesterday with an active drop zone (normally don't bother overflying them but the weather was crappy to the west), I self announce my transition when I hear "jumpers away 6000" with no other identification. Now the CTAF is shared with several dozen airports within reception range so I ask "Is that over Orange?" but no response. I know (from operating nearby) that the jump plane is already back on 132.85 and not bothering to listen if it is Orange.

The situation where speed might be relevant to me is when someone announces an X mile final when I'm on downwind, and I'm trying to figure out whether it's safe to turn base or not.

...I always give my last 3 just in case there happens to be another "Cherokee" in the pattern...don't want to confuse anyone. It's the way I was taught so I just stick to it. It takes an extra .5 seconds per call so it's not a big deal. If I flew a Citabra or something maybe I'd just use the type...but there are a couple Cherokee's out there flying around. :)

Back