Unauthorized formation formup in a 7x7

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
LONDON, England -- Air safety experts are investigating how a German passenger plane diverted off its authorized path to come 200 meters (600 feet) from a British holiday airliner.

The captain of a Thomas Cook airlines Boeing 757 was forced to veer out of the way of the Boeing 767 operated by Condor Airlines of Germany. The incident took place 10,000 meters (30,000 feet) above the coast of Canada on June 24.

The Condor captain left his designated route to get near a colleague piloting another Condor plane to take a photo of him on his last operational flight, according to British media reports.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/12/germany.plane/index.html

...formation flying...with the consent and knowledge of both pilots.

Well as the long 747 flight with engine out points out that UK standards are worse than ours. This is why we're overregulated.

wsuffa said:
Well as the long 747 flight with engine out points out that UK standards are worse than ours. This is why we're overregulated.

Condor Airlines of Germany

The UK plane was the one that had to avoid ;)

mikea said:
...formation flying...with the consent and knowledge of both pilots.
Except he got the wrong plane.

What a boneheaded maneuver...*sigh* Oh well at least he wasn't a US pilot this time...

Greg Bockelman said:
Except you still can't do it with paying passengers on board.

So anything goes with those frequent flyer people ;)

Here's my favorite part of the report: "At no time was there concrete danger of a collision." (itallics mine). IOW they didn't actually collide so the danger wasn't "concrete".

SJP said:
Condor Airlines of Germany

The UK plane was the one that had to avoid ;)

Frankfort ATC: "Speedbird, haf you never been to Frankfort before?"

Speedbird (BOAC): "Why yes I have, old man, but it was in 1945. I was at 24,000 feet and I didn't stop."

Back