Un-zooming Mac Screen?

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Tommy zoomed-in on the screen on his Mac; now, he (and I) cannot figure out how to un-zoom the image on his (intuitive and easy-to-use) Mac.

Help?

Tommy zoomed-in on the screen on his Mac; now, he (and I) cannot figure out how to un-zoom the image on his (intuitive and easy-to-use) Mac.

Help?

Spike, Hold CTRL on the keyboard and then zoom out with your mouse scroll wheel (if you have one). If you don't put two fingers on the mouse pad and move them down at the same time.

If the above doesn't work--check the screen solution.

I managed to crack the chassis on my Macbook Pro today (the outside metal that goes around the screen cracked). Not sure how it happened--but the laptop does go through a lot. It is basically attached to me.

Last edited:
I believe you can enable/disable such features with the Universal Access system preferences

Spike,

Don't you love me any more? You could have called me. ;)

There are *two* possible ways to zoom the entire screen on the Mac. One is "control-scroll." Since Tommy has a MacBook IIRC, his trackpad should be able to function like a scroll wheel by using two fingers instead of one (a very handy feature BTW), so holding two finger on the trackpad and one on the control key will zoom.

The other is the Universal Access keyboard scrolling feature, which can be turned on and off with Command-Option-8, and zoomed in and out with command-option-(plus or minus).

If you want to disable the control-scroll feature, go into System Preferences, click the Universal Access icon (right-hand end of the System row), and where it says Zoom, click the "options" button. At the bottom of the Options screen, un-check the box for "Use scroll wheel with modifier keys to zoom:" But once you know that it's there, it's a handy thing to leave enabled. I was at the Job Center the other day getting a cover letter reviewed, and the guy who was helping me out couldn't read the text on my screen so I was able to quickly zoom in for him. It also makes a quickie-full screen mode for a video on a web page, for example.

Back