Ultimate Cross Country, anyone?

NickDBrennan said:
Has anyone here done the ultimate cross country? I've been reading a couple of stories (including the most recent one in AOPA Pilot magazine), and was wondering if anyone here had a good story. I'm at work and ungodly bored right now - anything to get me through the next 5 hours would be great!

http://webpages.charter.net/carolt/trip03/xc03.htm

Some of the pages are on geocities server and access is limited. You have to wait a while and then go back.

Go to the Whitehorse to Fairbanks page first or the Fairbanks/Bettles and Barrow page.

Enjoy. I sure did.

Did 3MY to Edmonton and thence to Ketchikan...and Gustavus; then after three days down the coast to Victoria BC, then ASE, then home to 3MY......

76S -D-> San Jose Ca. via the coast

Last edited:
I'm planning the ultimate cross country right now. My wife and I and my not-quite-2yr-old son are going from Hillsboro, OR to Sun-n-Fun and back in our Grumman Cheetah. I've got a couple of months off work to do the trip so there will be no rush. We're going to do 2-3 hrs a day max, leaving around April 2, weather permitting.

Anybody done a similar trip? We're planning to cross the mountains near I-90 from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT and then Billings, MT. From there it should be pretty much downhill.

I am planning a Hastings, MI -> west coast circuit -> Oklahoma/Missouri -> Hastings, MI that will be over 4,000nm. That will take place in May, and I just ordered the ANR headset for it today.

I will be having on online realtime (more or less) journal as I make my trip.

AA5A said:
I'm planning the ultimate cross country right now. My wife and I and my not-quite-2yr-old son are going from Hillsboro, OR to Sun-n-Fun and back in our Grumman Cheetah. I've got a couple of months off work to do the trip so there will be no rush. We're going to do 2-3 hrs a day max, leaving around April 2, weather permitting.

Anybody done a similar trip? We're planning to cross the mountains near I-90 from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT and then Billings, MT. From there it should be pretty much downhill.

What fun... I think I'll have to save this trip for another year or two when I can save up enough vacation time at work. I'd probably fly 3-4 hour legs, but Id stay a day or so in specific locations.

This would be great fun to do as a group. As long as you could find airplanes matched decently in performance.

I posted this awhile ago. The trip was Baltimore, MD -- Bennington, VT -- McKinney, Texas -- Baltimore. The total was 3,000 miles:

The trip was a trip I wanted to make, to visit family, and to help them, as well. I needed to do it last September. Even though this was a bit early for a long X-C, I thought it would be a learning experience. It was, and then some. My CFII had me do the X-C planning. It took me about half an hour just to figure out which plates and IFR and VFR charts I would need. Those alone took half of a bag!

First I elicited some help from people on the old AOPA webboard. I got a lot of help in the form of personal emails with suggestions on fuel stops, eateries, etc. Then, I went online to research the same sort of stuff. From that, I found my initial routing with possible stops. It was at this point that I went over the rough plan with my CFII. After he made his comments, I finalized everything, put highlighting on the charts, and made a very long X-C planner.

The aircraft we chose for the trip was a beautiful 1988 Piper Saratoga, with Mode S, HSI, 430, stormscope, etc. We also brought two handheld GPSs and a handheld radio. All of our planning was conservative: takeoff at least 100 lbs underweight, and land with at least two hours of fuel (which always more than satisfied IFR fuel requirements).

The first leg was the "short" one. We flew KBWI - KDDH (Morse State, in Bennington, VT). We got just the slightest bit of light IMC in the form of little puffy CU. I had chosen a route around NYC, that my CFII recommended. We visited my mother in Vermont and had a nice little picnic lunch right on the property. I did the VOR approach there (I think it used to be a VOR-A). That was about 350 n.m., as I remember.

From there, we took off for Dallas. Our route took us over a long, nearly great-circle line to Dallas. We knew we wouldn't get there in one day. We made a fuel stop in - - gosh, I can't remember! I think it was near XUB (Yellow Bud). I remember we did a hold and a localizer approach. After a quick turn, quick pee, and quick coke, we were back in business and on our way to KLHQ where we spent the night in a reasonably good hotel. I did the localizer approach there. The staff at the airport were very friendly, and lent us a car for the night! We had flown about 500 miles from Vermont, and about 800 miles for the day.

The next morning, we were off to Dallas with a stop in Hot Springs, Arkansas. (Watch out for that mountain!) True to its name, Hot Springs was hot as the devil! Climbing out, I got a strong dose of IMC with lots of bumps, showers--the works! I stayed in the clouds for about an hour. Finally, we popped out just before Texarkana. We got direct to KTKI, which we took with pleasure. I did the ILS there, and taxied to parking having flown another 600 miles, or so. My brother and his wife met us, and the family and my CFII had a fine dinner (and BEER!) together. We stayed in Dallas a few days, relaxing.

Then came the big trip back home--about 1100 n.m. We filed and flew a DP, which was a blast to do. (Believe it or not, class B KBWI doesn't every assign us a DP.) If we didn't have that headwind, we might have been able to do the thing in one shot. But my CFII wanted me to do at least two approaches, anyway. The fun part about this leg was that we got direct to our intermediate stop from about 400 miles out! It was very clear, so my CFII had me fly as closely to the GPS-generated centerline as possible. I had fun trying to keep it within 100 FEET! We stopped at K20, Hazard, Kentucky, where I did the VOR approach. Mountains! Gotta be careful! Very nice folks there lent us a car to go into town for a bite to eat.

The final leg home was to be the most challenging. The last hour and a half would see us flying in gusty, bumpy conditions, with plenty of rain, and in darkness. This was the real world, man, and it was time to see how I would do. We had filed a STAR, so we knew what to expect. With all those bumps, though, it was really wild at times. Try reading a DP (even Jepp!) with night cockpit lighting, with big bumps and loud rain tearing at the airframe! We were assigned the ILS 15R approach. This time my CFII was nice enough to let me accept VTF! We broke out under the clouds at around 1100' AGL, but we only had about 2 miles vis, with lots of scud. As we continued down the rails, we suddenly got very good visibility at about 600' AGL (don't know why). We landed back home in gusty conditions, but I was EXTREEMELY pumped and happy!

My wife met us at Signature where we relaxed and chat for a bit. I had learnt so much, and was unspeakably thankful for my teacher's guidance and instruction. We drove my CFII to his house, and then went home for a good dinner. I slept like a baby that night.

It was after this flight that I started to feel like a real IFR pilot.

Last Summer I did Addison, TX ADS; Portage, WI, C-47; Chesapeake, VA, CPK; Treasure Cay Bahamas; Nassau; Fort Pierce, FL; Orlando, FL; Mobile, AL; Addison, TX; Sillsbee, TX; Addison, Portage, WI, Addison (with three teenaged nieces as passengers). Quite a change from my daily routine.

This year, it will be quite similar except Cozumel, Mexico instead of the Bahamas.

I'd have to compute the milage again. ADS to Portage is over 600NM; to Chesapeake was also over 600; to Treasure Cay was close to 1,000.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

Here are a couple off the top of my head....

SSF - E38 - FMN - IDA - AEG - SSF

SSF - LIT - ISZ - UMP - OSU - LUK - MRB - MQY - SHV - SSF

SSF - TCL - ORF - MQI - ORF - HEF - LUK - JBR - SHV - SSF

AA5A said:

I've done that basic trip several times, but normally I do it in 2 days. Personally, in the winter I fly south west of the mountains and then cut across the warmer part of the country. I think it's a safer way to go especially with a 2 year old. You never plan on emergencies, but if you have to put the plane down in the middle of nowhere, survivability is much better when its >65* rather than < 30*.

NickDBrennan said:
Has anyone here done the ultimate cross country? I've been reading a couple of stories (including the most recent one in AOPA Pilot magazine), and was wondering if anyone here had a good story. I'm at work and ungodly bored right now - anything to get me through the next 5 hours would be great!
Two or three legs left of this trip:

KSZT-KSTS-KPVF-KEED-KELP-KHYI-KBTR-40J-F45-MYEM-MYEN-MYEM-MYCB-MYLS-KFRP-KCGC-KHDC-KHYI-KELP-KDVT (our current whereabouts).

47 hours so far. Nine actual IFR. Weather (icing) dictated most routing.

We're pretty tired but thrilled with our 6 week adventure.

I still don't know what TX, LA, MS,AL, or FL look like!

BB

When I was building time for my commercial I flew from central Illinois to south dakota with a fuel stop in Harlan Iowa (where playboy is published) The next day flew to colorado springs, lubock tx, springfield Mo to dayton ohio..gettting into dayton about 4:00 am the next day Went to ithica Ny, then on to columbus Oh then back to Jacksonville Illinois...... 3300 NM in 3 Days. Best trip EVER:dance:

Back