Ulcer question

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
I had an endoscopy yesterday, my annual one for my GERD. They found a small ulcer, not bleeding or serious.
Is this going to be an issue when I renew my medical. I am keeping records but hope it is not an issue like my thyroid was.
Any thoughts? Do I need to talk to Dr, Bruce?

I had an endoscopy yesterday, my annual one for my GERD. They found a small ulcer, not bleeding or serious.
Is this going to be an issue when I renew my medical. I am keeping records but hope it is not an issue like my thyroid was.
Any thoughts? Do I need to talk to Dr, Bruce?
Hi Lynn,
Let me know when you are back in town!
I think it would be a good idea to shoot Dr. Bruce an email and ask him if you need to engage him. Or just go over to that other board where he hangs out and ask it there.
Best of luck
John

Hi John
Keep the first week in February open. We get in the 6th and leave the 10th.
I may jump over to Bruce.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I would check with Dr. Bruce to get the right answer.

I would check with Dr. Bruce to get the right answer.

Lol....an ulcer

Let's call Dr. Bruce!!!!

Cmon folks...use your brains...Dr. Bruce is not a god...although his prices might seem like it.

Funny how there is a cult following of this guy because he was a member of POA....:rolleyes:

Find an AME in your area...you will be fine.

The short version is you will need at least 3 months of symptom free time and another EGD to show evidence that the lesion is healed. You would probably benefit from a discussion with an AME who specializes in guiding you through certification issues to ensure everything required is submitted at the same time and you can avoid a deferral.

Quoted directly from the Faa Medical Examiners Guide..:

8.i. Stomach, liver, or intestinal trouble. A history of acute gastrointestinal disorders is usually not disqualifying once recovery is achieved. Many chronic gastrointestinal diseases may preclude issuance of a medical certificate (e.g., cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis, malignancy, ulcerative colitis). Colostomy following surgery for cancer may be allowed by the FAA with special follow-up reports.

The Examiner should not issue a medical certificate if the applicant has a recent history of bleeding ulcers. Otherwise, ulcers must not have been active within the past 3 months. (Item 38 outlines the special studies needed for consideration of persons with an ulcer history).

Item 38: 7. Peptic ulcer. Following is special procedure for ulcer:

An applicant with a history of an active ulcer within the past 3 months or a bleeding ulcer within the past 6 months must provide evidence that the ulcer is healed if consideration for medical certification is desired. Evidence of healing must be verified by a report from the attending physician that includes the following information:

· Confirmation that the applicant is free of symptoms

· Radiographic or endoscopic evidence that the ulcer has healed.

· Type, dosage, and frequency of medication used.

This information should be submitted to the Aeromedical Certification Division, AAM-300. Under favorable circumstances, the FAA may issue a certificate with special requirements. For example, an applicant with a history of bleeding ulcer may be required to have the physician submit follow-up reports every 6 months for 1 year following initial certification. The prophylactic use of medications including simple antacids, H-2 inhibitors or blockers, and/or sucralfates may not be disqualifying. An applicant with a history of gastric resection for ulcer may be favorably considered if free of sequelae.

Note: I am not a physician and this is not medical advice. I have significant medical training combined with good Google-fu. YMMV.

Lol....an ulcer

Let's call Dr. Bruce!!!!

Cmon folks...use your brains...Dr. Bruce is not a god...although his prices might seem like it.

Funny how there is a cult following of this guy because he was a member of POA....:rolleyes:

Find an AME in your area...you will be fine.

He's not a god. But he's more knowledgeable on the subject than you are. That will suffice. He also was able to provide good advice to me when I requested it.. for free.. so his price was quite reasonable.

You don't have to like him. Its clear you don't. So what.

Back