UK Flying

sshekels

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott Shekels
I find myself heading over to the UK for a couple of weeks in July, and wondered if anyone has experience renting a plane across the pond?

I would be interested in anything from flying with a CFI just to log the UK landing, to some rental time alone. I already know its not cheap - C172 for about 115 pounds, according to google.

Also, just out of curiosity, can one get, or does one need a UK certificate? It'd be kinda cool to have a UK license! :)

Thanks!
Scott

sshekels said:
I find myself heading over to the UK for a couple of weeks in July, and wondered if anyone has experience renting a plane across the pond?

I would be interested in anything from flying with a CFI just to log the UK landing, to some rental time alone. I already know its not cheap - C172 for about 115 pounds, according to google.

Also, just out of curiosity, can one get, or does one need a UK certificate? It'd be kinda cool to have a UK license! :)

Thanks!
Scott

For a simple Day VFR license, just present your US Airmans ticket and you will get one of theirs for a nominal fee. Pretty typically, this is the way it works anywhere in the world, however, as american ticket holders, we can operate N tail planes anywhere in the world on our tickets, and there are a lot of N tail planes throughout the world, you may want to look around at the airports for them.

Any idea of who I show my cert to? I suspect I should get this rolling now. It'd be pretty cool to get a UK cert!

I think what prohibits most from the US flying in the UK is the 2 million GBP in insurance requirement (a little over $3.6M USD today). Maybe that's on the airplane and not the pilot, I'm not sure...

sshekels said:
Any idea of who I show my cert to? I suspect I should get this rolling now. It'd be pretty cool to get a UK cert!

Depends where you are. Check at the airport where you want to rent, that's who usually handles it for me. I made advance inquireies before I went to Oz, could have saved a the effort, as you have to present yourself, certificate and medical to whatever local official handles it.

Back