Uh oh -- Aviation Advertising as Bellwether

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
I just received my AOPA Pilot yesterday for December. I always enjoy this magazine, and it's one of the real benefits of membership in AOPA.

As I sifted it from my pile of junk mail, I was struck by how light it was. The magazine is usually much thicker and heavier, especially in the Christmas edition. Having spent over twenty years working the business-side of newspapers (getting out in 2002 -- good timing!), I know how all-important advertising is to any periodical -- so I started flipping through the pages.

A cursory glance showed several AOPA ads -- no less than four full-page ads, advertising themselves. That's called "filler", and (in the newspaper world, anyway) is usually a sign that someone bailed out at the last minute. Full-page ads are very expensive, so you don't run them unless you've got a good reason.

The second thing I noticed was what was missing. For the first time in my memory, NONE of the big aircraft manufacturers were advertising. Well, okay, Cessna had one ad, but it was promoting the Special Olympics, so they were probably committed to that one long ago. Otherwise, no Beech, no Cessna, no Piper, and -- most surprisingly -- no Cirrus advertising.

Not only is this disastrous for AOPA's budget, it's a truly scary sign of the times. The last thing a healthy company eliminates is advertising, simply because those ads represent a faith in future sales. When ALL of the aircraft manufacturers have cut back to this level, the future of GA is clearly threatened.

What's it going to take to bring aircraft sales around? Without new airplanes -- and companies to build spare parts for our old ones -- GA can only soldier on for so long. I guess the question is: Which of the big aircraft manufacturers will survive "The Great Recession"? :frown2:

Nah, just a blip. Market will recover by _______ (fill in the date). We've had these down markets before and I'm not worried. My price is firm and is less than I've got in it. Besides, that's what they're selling for on Trade-a-plane. If I can't get my asking price I'll just keep it. F-ing tire kickers anyway.

I just received my AOPA Pilot yesterday for December. I always enjoy this magazine, and it's one of the real benefits of membership in AOPA.

As I sifted it from my pile of junk mail, I was struck by how light it was. The magazine is usually much thicker and heavier, especially in the Christmas edition. Having spent over twenty years working the business-side of newspapers (getting out in 2002 -- good timing!), I know how all-important advertising is to any periodical -- so I started flipping through the pages.

A cursory glance showed several AOPA ads -- no less than four full-page ads, advertising themselves. That's called "filler", and (in the newspaper world, anyway) is usually a sign that someone bailed out at the last minute. Full-page ads are very expensive, so you don't run them unless you've got a good reason.

The second thing I noticed was what was missing. For the first time in my memory, NONE of the big aircraft manufacturers were advertising. Well, okay, Cessna had one ad, but it was promoting the Special Olympics, so they were probably committed to that one long ago. Otherwise, no Beech, no Cessna, no Piper, and -- most surprisingly -- no Cirrus advertising.

Not only is this disastrous for AOPA's budget, it's a truly scary sign of the times. The last thing a healthy company eliminates is advertising, simply because those ads represent a faith in future sales. When ALL of the aircraft manufacturers have cut back to this level, the future of GA is clearly threatened.

What's it going to take to bring aircraft sales around? Without new airplanes -- and companies to build spare parts for our old ones -- GA can only soldier on for so long. I guess the question is: Which of the big aircraft manufacturers will survive "The Great Recession"? :frown2:

The last thing a healthy company eliminates is advertising, simply because those ads represent a faith in future sales. :frown2:

You think you would be right, but actually, advertising is the first thing companies cut trying to save cash. History has shown this is a poor business decision as you noticed it and now have less confidence in the companies that are MIA.

Recovery? Not for another 6-10 years.

Yes, it's pretty scary. I think it's 1932. '32 was by press accounts a hopeful year. Then the crops failed and 1933 was the year of the breadlines.

Hang on.

But...

Men's underwear sales are up! And that, too, is an economic bellweather.

You think you would be right, but actually, advertising is the first thing companies cut trying to save cash. History has shown this is a poor business decision as you noticed it and now have less confidence in the companies that are MIA.

Recovery? Not for another 6-10 years.

Might be for aviation industry, but just about everywhere else employee-training is the first budget item cut - by those companies that do not consider the employee a critical asset, of course.

Another very good reason is what is the point of advertising when people aren't buying?

Many businesses make drastic cut backs on advertising during slow times.
It is not necessarily because they are short of cash, it is more that advertising to a dead market is tantamount to throwing away your cash.

When people are spending, that is when you want to advertise. AOPA is a very financially sound organization, I am sure they will survive, unless of course we all go under.

John

It's actually funny timing -- AOPA just killed off their California-only version of Pilot magazine -- we were about to commit to about 25k in advertising to that version.

We're back to the drawing board now trying to figure out how to reach a local aviation audience in a quality way. We've got the "little newspapers" covered, Pilot was the perfect vehicle.

The AOPA ad rep was about as rude as could be too. Too bad.

Maybe the rest of the aviation community is learning what many, many of AOPA's own members realized about a year ago:

AOPA is no good for the Aviation Community. They're not necessarily BAD for them, but they're certainly no good.

Now, I'll bet EAA's ads are just fine...

Another very good reason is what is the point of advertising when people aren't buying?

Many businesses make drastic cut backs on advertising during slow times.
It is not necessarily because they are short of cash, it is more that advertising to a dead market is tantamount to throwing away your cash.

When people are spending, that is when you want to advertise. AOPA is a very financially sound organization, I am sure they will survive, unless of course we all go under.

John

I think advertising is like investing. You don't look at the short term blips, just the long term gains.

Keeping your name in front of customers is something that must be done over and over and over and over. The public is incredibly fickle, and -- with the huge decline of newspaper readership -- there is no longer a cost-effective way to reach a large-but-targeted audience.

We struggle with this all the time at the hotel. We're small, and appeal to a small market. With an advertising budget measured in the hundreds (not thousands) of dollars per month, we have to be very selective and cretaive about where and when we advertise. So, we do a lot of trade-outs with local radio stations, give free nights to every charity that asks, and advertise in carefully targeted markets (local NPR station; Pilot Getaways magazine; etc.) Until this year, this strategy was very effective. (This year, nothing works in the travel industry... :mad2:)

I think for the big manufacturers to stop advertising in the biggest pilot magazine/organization is indicative of how truly bad the economy is. IMHO, they would not choose to do this -- it would have to be thrust upon them by circumstances.

Some valid points by all.

However this post makes a very big assumption that the manufacturers have stopped advertising. When tight times cause us to look at our budgets more carefully we generally FOCUS our advertising needs. Not simply cut them.

We look at what will give us the best bang for the buck so to speak. I think demo flights, marketing, and going after the corporate client is probably the better way to sell aircraft. So maybe we cut back on AOPA.

AOPA is probably more of a continual (sustaining) level of marketing, it probably doesn't produce "today" results.

Has anyone ever picked up AOPA and then went out and bought a new plane because they saw it there??? I'd think not. A thought starter maybe, but a decision maker, not.

So re-focus your advertising monies where it will do the most good.

I don't see aviation, or GA for that matter, going away. My biggest fear however is USER FEES, for they may be the beginning of the end for GA.

My two cents...

Has anyone

Aviation, especially General Aviation is a lagging economic indicator. Its the first thing to be curtailed and probably one of the last things to come back. I agree though, its pretty bad out there.

My business is very slow at this time, I have cut my advertising more than half of what I normally spend. My brother suggested I sell my airplane. I asked him what the heck was the matter with him? I can see selling many of my possessions, not my airplane though. GA isn't dead yet, just on shaky ground.

We all know in our hearts that through our governments carefully thought out policies, our economy will soon start roaring again soon. Right?

John

Dont let yourselves think for a second that the AOPA crowd is the bread and butter. Look at Flying mag. Thats where the corporate crowd hangs. Thats who buys the new Caravans, Citations, King Airs and the like.. the moneymakers for the big 3..

The moneyed guys who can afford to buy a Bonanza, Seneca or the like.. will likely be reading that book too.. The advertising in the "commoners" mag is a larger expenditure for a smaller part of the the pie..

So Jay is right, they are cutting back.. they are focusing their advertising DIRECTLY at the folks MOST LIKELY to cut a check to them in a recession, not those who are going to sit on the couch and wish upon a star for the AOPA plane of the year to fall in their lap while renting a 20-40 year old CessPipBonMoonerza or 4 way partnering in said 40 year old CessPipBonMoonerza

They aren't stopping their advertising. They are using a sharpshooter instead of a scattergun.

“A man who stops advertising to save money is like a man who stops a clock to save time.” -- Henry Ford

Some valid points by all.

However this post makes a very big assumption that the manufacturers have stopped advertising. When tight times cause us to look at our budgets more carefully we generally FOCUS our advertising needs. Not simply cut them.

We look at what will give us the best bang for the buck so to speak. I think demo flights, marketing, and going after the corporate client is probably the better way to sell aircraft. So maybe we cut back on AOPA.

AOPA is probably more of a continual (sustaining) level of marketing, it probably doesn't produce "today" results.

Has anyone ever picked up AOPA and then went out and bought a new plane because they saw it there??? I'd think not. A thought starter maybe, but a decision maker, not.

So re-focus your advertising monies where it will do the most good.

I don't see aviation, or GA for that matter, going away. My biggest fear however is USER FEES, for they may be the beginning of the end for GA.

My two cents...

Has anyone

Yep, that's pretty much right on the money, IMO.

Years ago, Beechcraft used to advertise regularly in National Geographic. They'd have Bonanzas one month, Barons the next, and occasionally ads for the Duke. I wonder how many sales they booked from that? If I had to bet, the family probably made a substantial contribution to the National Geographic Society and got free ad space in return. But Beechcraft did eventually quit advertising in Nat Geo, and they're still out there...

Trapper John

Could this just be an artifact of the holiday season? Lots of people are using economic resources for things other than aircraft right now. Half the country is beset with unflyable conditions. For all we know they pull adds every December.

Could this just be an artifact of the holiday season? Lots of people are using economic resources for things other than aircraft right now. Half the country is beset with unflyable conditions. For all we know they pull adds every December.

Could be.

Anyone planning on taking advantage of bonus depreciation has probably already bought, too.

Trapper John

Half the country is beset with unflyable conditions.

Whatever. :rolleyes: Best flying of the year, says I! And I'm qualified to say so because I actually do it instead of whining about how the air is too smooth, vis too good, and my plane performs too well. :p

Whatever. :rolleyes: Best flying of the year, says I! And I'm qualified to say so because I actually do it instead of whining about how the air is too smooth, vis too good, and my plane performs too well. :p

Amen, brother.

Once we get through the transition from fall to winter, and we get into those big bubbles of Canadian high pressure, man, we've got the best flying of the year here in the Midwest.

Just make sure you're flying a plane with a good heater! :smile:

Back