Ugly Airplanes

attachment.php

Wow.

Check. Mate. You win, Troy!

The Shorts is one of the ugliest airplanes to start out with ("Cute airplane, but you forgot to take it out of the box") and that paint job is also the ugliest I've seen on any airplane.

Wow.

The Shorts is one of the ugliest airplanes to start out with ("Cute airplane, but you forgot to take it out of the box") and that paint job is also the ugliest I've seen on any airplane.
The Shorts is the only plane in this thread I'd like to fly. Because from the inside, you can't see the outside!!!! :yikes:

-Skip

I've always considered the Shorts cargo aircraft and the Beech 1900 among the ugliest aircraft. I guess there is something to be said in certain cases for sacrificing beauty for utility.

For me, a design that leans towards utility has a beauty of its own... if it looks like it can do its intended job well, I like it.

Like the Shorts and Beech "boxes", the AN-2, the Airtruk, the OV-10, the A-10, etc.
All of them look like they fly very well in their intended role, and as it turns out, they do.

Really ugly airplanes, to me, are airplanes that could be pretty if it weren't for some awful mod or paintjob.... like a Champ with a nosewheel- ugh.
Or aircraft that you can tell, at one glance, are deathtraps... like the Bonney Gull.

I never did find out what this was (other than homely).

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 81
But those of us who flew them remember them fondly as a reliable honest airplane that most importantly would carry a huge load of ice and always got us home. My experience is in the 360 model flying in the Midwest ice bucket.

Wow.

But those of us who flew them remember them fondly as a reliable honest airplane that most importantly would carry a huge load of ice and always got us home. My experience is in the 360 model flying in the Midwest ice bucket.

Hmmm. Iced up and stayed in the sky... Did it ever occur to you that Earth may not have wanted the Shorts back? ;) ;)

The new Diamond twin that's on the cover of this month's AOPA Pilot is a pretty strong contender!

I like those Guppy-style airplanes, like the Beluga and the DreamLifter. I know I'll get some disagreement, but I think the Bellanca Viking and Cruisemasters are ugly planes. The Mooney M20C is homely. Bristol Beaufort. Curtiss Helldiver.

The Trislander is butt. That being said, I haven't seen anything here that I wouldn't fly based on aesthetics. I was ready to move to Puerto Rico to fly Trislanders.

Attachments

• 4188.jpg
    4188.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 44
The Trislander is butt. That being said, I haven't seen anything here that I wouldn't fly based on aesthetics. I was ready to move to Puerto Rico to fly Trislanders.

Yeah, it definitely looks slapped together like a kid's Lego project.

The Trislander is butt. That being said, I haven't seen anything here that I wouldn't fly based on aesthetics.

It flies based on 'sonic levitation', it is the noise that makes it fly.

"There are no ugly airplanes, only ugly people who fly them."

--Orville Wright

:)D)

I think the PAC Fletcher is quite a beautiful plane especially in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6j4TxfU6DU&playnext_from=TL&videos=jUaeN9YZ3XM

\I know I'll get some disagreement, but I think the Bellanca Viking and Cruisemasters are ugly planes. The Mooney M20C is homely. Bristol Beaufort. Curtiss Helldiver.

Correct... I think the Viking is one of the sexiest planes I have EVER seen :nono:. No arguement on the cruisemaster though :)

I know an Airtractor will show up on here sooner or later, but I think they are freaking awesome so rugged looking. Nothing beats rugged.

Last edited:
URL]

How about those ugly interiors?? :( Here is something I posted on the Piper Pilots website because it was fairly shocking to me. What did this airplane ever do to the person that chose this decor??!!

Last edited:
I've actually seen worse than that plaid.

A Cherokee in our flight school was purchased by a person with excruciatingly bad taste. This person put black fuzzy seatcovers with dragons on the front seats, the back seat got a hideous shag seat cover with some cartoon on it, and to top it off, various small unicorn/pegasus models were hung around the interior. I flew it once before it left the flight school, and I was hoping the lineman fueling it at another airport wouldn't notice the dreadful interior. I mentioned this interior to someone else, who replied he tried not to look anymore.

I would rock that plaid! It's Volkswagen GTI meets PA-28, what could be wrong with that?

I did see a cool Arrow with a STOL kit...but the panel was this ugly spray can green.
(sorry if this plane is anyone's here, but my gawd)

Enjoy--->
202458.jpg

That plaid interior would certainly have a very limited appeal. The green panel? No appeal at all. :vomit:

Back