Ugh! the Weather

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
NWS predicts the pattern of E-W jet to continue through the weekend, NO KNUCKLE predicted.

The charts are calling for widely scattered T-storms all along the route from Central Illinois to Cental Arkansas.

Why isn't there such a thing as an easy flight to 3M0?

Why isn't there such a thing as an easy flight to 3M0?

every year is an adventure for at least some of us. it makes us display our pre and in flight decision making skills in front of our friends. always interesting to see how each of us handles each situation differently.

Bruce,
you can:
1) go IFR but remain VMC to avoid the TR
2) go IFR and use nexrad + spherics
3) head west before you head south
4) go VFR and weave your way among the stuff.
5) stay home :)no:!!!)
Did I miss anything?

(We're planning to do (2) or one of the other ones if it doesn't look good as we get closer.)

It certainly does seem that the timing of Gaston's results in some "fun" weather to deal with. In my case, I'll be making use of the facilities we have:

1) Eye-dar (only works in VMC)
2) On-board radar (old RCA green/black setup, but it does work)
3) NEXRAD (496)

Last month I had fun using the three working together on an Animal Rescue Flight flight to South Carolina. I suspect tomorrow will involve more of the same. :)

Oh, and the thunderstorm line is looking similar for my route of flight. Hopefully the weather gods will smile upon us and make the trip easier than currently anticipated.

Ahh, you don't need that radar stuff.

Just a deck of cards. :)

What is "spherics?"

If this was a serious question, "spherics" devices detect and display information about lightning discharges, e.g. Stormscopes. If you weren't serious and just hinting that you don't have a Stormscope either just avoid the dark and or green clouds as much as possible and keep your seat belts tight:D.

If this was a serious question, "spherics" devices detect and display information about lightning discharges, e.g. Stormscopes. If you weren't serious and just hinting that you don't have a Stormscope either just avoid the dark and or green clouds as much as possible and keep your seat belts tight:D.

LOL, nope, it was a serious question. Thanks. I'd never heard it called that before.

As Pete said, spherics is the generic term for lightning detectors by StormScope, StrikeFinder, etc.

XM weather doesn't have lightening strikes? (yes I know there is a lag)
I think that lightning is available as part of the mid-level package, which is what we have. So yes, it does. However, 1) that lag you refer to is enough to keep me from using it to do tactical maneuvering around thunderstorms and 2) it gets the data from ground units that only record cloud-to-ground strikes, so intra-cloud and inter-cloud strikes aren't shown.

I don't have any spherics (I'd never heard that term, either). I suppose I won't be installing one before tomorrow morning... ;)

You forgot that for added situational awarness there will also be an XM equiped 496. For some reason I don't think it will be where ever I am sitting.
Wasn't that his point (3) "3) NEXRAD (496)"?

It certainly does seem that the timing of Gaston's results in some "fun" weather to deal with. In my case, I'll be making use of the facilities we have:

1) Eye-dar (only works in VMC)
2) On-board radar (old RCA green/black setup, but it does work)
3) NEXRAD (496)

Last month I had fun using the three working together on an Animal Rescue Flight flight to South Carolina. I suspect tomorrow will involve more of the same. :)

Oh, and the thunderstorm line is looking similar for my route of flight. Hopefully the weather gods will smile upon us and make the trip easier than currently anticipated.

You forgot that for added situational awarness there will also be an XM equiped 496. For some reason I don't think it will be where ever I am sitting.

As Grant pointed out, I didn't forget it. :)

And you are correct... it will be sitting attached to my yoke. :D

Ahh, you don't need that radar stuff.

Just a deck of cards. :)
Especially B&W radar. And even more so if you don't know how to read it. Oh the arrogance :frown2:

On to happier things - want to meet up tomorrow Grant? Although we're not leaving until 5pm....

-Felix

I think that lightning is available as part of the mid-level package, which is what we have. So yes, it does. However, 1) that lag you refer to is enough to keep me from using it to do tactical maneuvering around thunderstorms and 2) it gets the data from ground units that only record cloud-to-ground strikes, so intra-cloud and inter-cloud strikes aren't shown.
I don't think anything but color radar, experience on how to use it, and a storm finder would cause me to go anywhere near a TS where tactics are required.

396+ATC+strategy is almost always enough.

-Felix

Especially B&W radar. And even more so if you don't know how to read it. Oh the arrogance :frown2:

On to happier things - want to meet up tomorrow Grant? Although we're not leaving until 5pm....

-Felix
I'm definitely leaving before 5, because that would get me in too close to dark, and it looks like there'll be some headwinds, not to mention TS to avoid. If it looks like I can get into Sikeston, we'll do lunch there before heading to Gaston's. However, they're calling for TS in that area, so we may just do that on Sunday coming back. I expect to be at Gaston's by about 5:00.

The great advantage of the stormscope in Strike mode, is that you can get where the cells are starting to blossom.

XM- not too helpful in that regard.

Stormscope is tactical. Radar is strategic, as is XM.

I don't think anything but color radar, experience on how to use it, and a storm finder would cause me to go anywhere near a TS where tactics are required.

396+ATC+strategy is almost always enough.

-Felix

I can tell you live way out west :p. Seems like every time I fly to/from Florida there's at least one relatively solid line of storms I have to cross on the way down or back. A 396+ATC+ any strategy that didn't involve waiting a few days wouldn't cut it then.

Last edited:
Aw come on, you don't like monochrome radar? :p

Having flown with both monochrome and color radar for several years I've concluded that the chief advantage of color is that it's easier to make a quick (and therefore limited value) interpretation with a colored display. And there's a downside to color in that it's also too easy to draw the incorrect conclusion that the colors alone have significance along the lines of green=OK, yellow=caution, red=danger. Contours, gradients, echo shapes, and dynamics are what really matters when looking at short range wx radar (with tilt management being nearly as important) and all of that is available with monochrome displays. OTOH, the change from persistence based to memory based displays was a huge improvement, especially when the interpretation had to be performed by the pilot who was also busy flying the airplane.

I just spent 25 bucks on enroute and approach charts. So, If I were you folks, I wouldn't worry about the weather.

You know, I used to use my ADF to find lightning strikes. Worked like a charm, and the needle always pointed towards the strike.

Maybe I just happened to have the right frequency tuned :D

It certainly does seem that the timing of Gaston's results in some "fun" weather to deal with. In my case, .

Yup EVERY year there is a stationary front that runs from somewhere in southern Ill to the east coast. It usually runs through Kentucky and up through WV and along the PA MD boarder. Creates a lot of crud.

Back