UFO in Maine????

Love the comments after the article. :rofl:

Some years ago there was a rash of UFO sightings along the eastern seaboard right about the same time as a large flying club started night formation flying drills. The club started to see the reports and played it up by marshalling large formations of their members various GA aircraft over populated areas during rush hour twilight. They even started holding formations by reference to cockpit light only and switching position and beacon lights on and off in unison via radio coordination. The public reports are ledgendary. Apparently this went on for weeks IIRC.

Finally, feeling a little bad the club had a press day, invited the media, and announced that they were responsible. They showed the flight logs, photographs, club bulletin board full of momentos of their missions. After a few laughs and some perhaps deserved criticism there were still people who refused to believe that it wasn't flying saucers.

I still remember the last remark in the article I read. It was from one of the flying club members who said something to the effect of, "oh well, it must be flying saucers because I sure don't believe in airplanes".

MM

Back