UFlyMike

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Anybody have any PIREPs on these? I see that Bose came out with the Quiet Comfort 25's and was curious how the UFlyMike worked with them.

Is the UFlyMike setup a joke or is it worth the buy for a functioning headset?

Thanks

I have one for my 15 and I like it. For 1/2 the cost of a Bose aviation set you get a multi use set. It's not as good as an aviation set imho, but for the price it's great.

I have one for my 15 and I like it. For 1/2 the cost of a Bose aviation set you get a multi use set. It's not as good as an aviation set imho, but for the price it's great.
Thanks. As far as the clarity and reception are concerned, how would you say it compares to the average ANR headset?

Last edited:
I used the one for the 15 for a while. I agree that it's a great multi use set. I have heard of problems on the listeners end on more than one headset however. It's as if the headset wasn't transmitting at times. I think it's more of an airplane issue though. 2 of the planes I've flown didn't seem to do well with the UFM15.

I used the one for the 15 for a while. I agree that it's a great multi use set. I have heard of problems on the listeners end on more than one headset however. It's as if the headset wasn't transmitting at times. I think it's more of an airplane issue though. 2 of the planes I've flown didn't seem to do well with the UFM15.
I could practically buy a LS Sierra for the price of the QC25's and the UFlyMike setup. Amazing they charge nearly 300$ for a few cables and adapters, aviation products are definitely a racket. Thanks for the info!

I could practically buy a LS Sierra for the price of the QC25's and the UFlyMike setup. Amazing they charge nearly 300$ for a few cables and adapters, aviation products are definitely a racket. Thanks for the info!
It took them years to design the Harmony for the qc25. I think they were something like 2 years late on the launch of the product. That's a lot of lost revenue since they originally discontinued the ufm15.

The UFM is a great solution if you already have the noise cancelling headphones and want a cheaper entry into a good ANR. Especially for a turbine pilot. However if you don't have anything the lightspeed might be a better bet.

It took them years to design the Harmony for the qc25. I think they were something like 2 years late on the launch of the product. That's a lot of lost revenue since they originally discontinued the ufm15.

The UFM is a great solution if you already have the noise cancelling headphones and want a cheaper entry into a good ANR. Especially for a turbine pilot. However if you don't have anything the lightspeed might be a better bet.
I'm just looking for a reasonable, quality headset to have on hand for additional passengers. I thought the UFM might be a good option, but looking at the price, I'm thinking otherwise. I found a Bose X for $489.00, which is a good price for that model. I'll probably go with that.

Using UFlyMike is probably okay with passengers. And I've seen so called professional pilots use them as well. As for me, nope, not interested.

I liked the 25s, especially since it removed the issues of no audio at all of the battery dies that was seen in the 15, was thinking of getting a QC setup for my pax set to replace/add to my passive pax/backup DCs, but when you add all the bits up, unless you can score a killer deal on the 25s, it's still pretty spendy.

I have a uFly and use it when I'm on vacation and flying a little. It's a lot less to carry when I go from TX to CA and rent a 172 to buzz around a bit.

For occasional use it is great. For a short time it was primary because it was less "clampy" but now I'm all in-ear with CA or Halo.

My pirep may be dated somewhat because I have 3 sets that are all with the previously available qc15.

I have a wife and kids that absolutely despise the head clamp. My goal was to find a super comfortable headset with decent ANR that they enjoyed wearing without breaking the bank in a crazy way.

So I gave the uflymike a shot. $225 for the uflymike. I'm an eBay guy so $100 gave me a nice lightly used set of qc15's. So $325 for the headset.

How does it compare?
1- comfort - wonderful! Super light weight and extremely light clamp. Blows away the $1,000 Bose and lightspeed models in this category.
2- ANR - excellent. Crystal clear. If anyone complains that it blocks out less sound that the high dollar sets- refer back to #1... there is a *slight* tradeoff for less compression around ears.
3- durability - B+ - The one fault in the ones I have is that the mic does not swivel and lay flat against the headband portion when not in use. I have 3 of the uflymikes and none have broken yet though.
4- power - aaa battery required. They last many many hours but they will still eventually die. I keep a box of batteries in the plane. Nbd but see summary.
5- value - A+

So after all that I will say that I do not use a uflymike as my primary PIC headset. I use Zulus that I also bought on eBay for about $400. I don't mind a heavier more clamping headset personally. I also don't want to worry about batteries if I'm talking to atc... the uflymike does NOT go passive when batteries die.

So essentially I have 3 uflymikes and absolutely love them. They are A+++ for my pax / kids / etc. Can NOT be beat. They could be used for PIC no problem but for that specific purpose realize they have sole minor weaknesses compared to standard ANR aviation headsets.

Good luck.

My pirep may be dated somewhat because I have 3 sets that are all with the previously available qc15.

I have a wife and kids that absolutely despise the head clamp. My goal was to find a super comfortable headset with decent ANR that they enjoyed wearing without breaking the bank in a crazy way.

So I gave the uflymike a shot. $225 for the uflymike. I'm an eBay guy so $100 gave me a nice lightly used set of qc15's. So $325 for the headset.

How does it compare?
1- comfort - wonderful! Super light weight and extremely light clamp. Blows away the $1,000 Bose and lightspeed models in this category.
2- ANR - excellent. Crystal clear. If anyone complains that it blocks out less sound that the high dollar sets- refer back to #1... there is a *slight* tradeoff for less compression around ears.
3- durability - B+ - The one fault in the ones I have is that the mic does not swivel and lay flat against the headband portion when not in use. I have 3 of the uflymikes and none have broken yet though.
4- power - aaa battery required. They last many many hours but they will still eventually die. I keep a box of batteries in the plane. Nbd but see summary.
5- value - A+

So after all that I will say that I do not use a uflymike as my primary PIC headset. I use Zulus that I also bought on eBay for about $400. I don't mind a heavier more clamping headset personally. I also don't want to worry about batteries if I'm talking to atc... the uflymike does NOT go passive when batteries die.

So essentially I have 3 uflymikes and absolutely love them. They are A+++ for my pax / kids / etc. Can NOT be beat. They could be used for PIC no problem but for that specific purpose realize they have sole minor weaknesses compared to standard ANR aviation headsets.

Good luck.
Thank you much Ark! Really appreciate the review!

For those that say other ANR headsets are "better" you have to define why. I have two sets of Zulus and 3 uflymikes (family of 5)

I wear a Zulu and the other 4 (wife and 3 kids) argue over who has to wear the other Zulu.

To me the weaknesses that the uflymike have zero effect on pax. They want comfort and unless you go in ear the uflymike can not be beat imho.

For the first year I flew I dealt with crappy headsets for pax. Looking back I'd tell any new pilot / plane owner that the first thing they should do is buy quality headsets for each seat they intend to fill. There is absolutely nothing more important you can do to increase everyone's enjoyment.

i have the Uflymike for passengers. They are light, and girls like that. Plus there is some noise cancelling with passengers like too. Way better passenger option than a heavy set of something else. I personally won't use it because I had the batteries go out on me once in IMC and without batteries they don't work.

Back