UBG-16 / MUX-8A data rates

Rex Kwan Do

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rex Kwan Do
I think I’ve made a mistake.

I was looking for an inexpensive engine monitor for my certified aircraft and was recommended a UBG-16. Older tech but reliable. When I purchased it I saw that the sample rate was 1/sec which is not as fast as some of the more modern (1/0.3 sec) but effective.

when I got my kit I was reading through the documentation for install when I see that the MUX-8A data collector offers 1,3,6 MINUTE data collection rates.

ideally if I’m using the data to identify engine health, more data is better.

my question: is there a commercially available serial data collector that polls at a faster rate or am I better off returning the UBG-16 kit and paying the restock fee and ordering something else?

I’ll call EI when they open but figured someone else might have already been down this road.

This was my oversight, I own it, I’m just looking at options to fix it.

Update: Shipping it back to EI and purchasing a CGR-30P. Those guys are really helpful, very easy to work with

Yes, EI is great to work with. We have a 16 year old UBG-16 and MUX-8, still working. There is a burst recording mode for the MUX-8, but don't recall the frequency. We're likely going to be replacing it with a CGR-30P in the not-too-distant future.

I bought a plane with a UBG-16 and did an upgrade to a CGR30P/C combo. Have not regretted it for a minute - it's great.

I have not read my UBG-16 manual recently, but when does the MUX-8 go into burst mode? If it goes off when your preset limits are exceeded, then possibly that is enough data for what one wants. Sure, more data in principle could be better, but does it really matter, and at what cost penalty.

Back