UBG-16 Engine analyzer

mkarmel

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Moe
Hi All,
I just purchased a Piper Arrow II that has UBG-16 installed but not functioning well, IE, it is lit and all the 4 cylinders bars show max. The previous owner told me it stopped working recently. I wonder if anyone knows how can i reset the unit to factory default, it that's an option. it's hard to imagine that it's an engine probe issue because all the bars are lit at max height. I would appreciate any input or suggestion. Thanks!

I'd try contacting Electronics International. They have a very good reputation for service.

Thank you. Meanwhile, i discovered on Mooney's forum some troubleshooting tips which i'll try.

Start with the obvious. Look at the back of the device and make sure the cannon plug is securely fastened. Also check fasteners for device ground and engine ground strap.

You can also download the owner's manual and install manual from the EI web site. This will show you what colored wire does what. It is a very simple box (30 year old tech) - there's nothing to 'factory reset'.

I think Ed is on the right track with a loose connection/grounding issue.

C.

Hi All,
I just purchased a Piper Arrow II that has UBG-16 installed but not functioning well, IE, it is lit and all the 4 cylinders bars show max. The previous owner told me it stopped working recently. I wonder if anyone knows how can i reset the unit to factory default, it that's an option. it's hard to imagine that it's an engine probe issue because all the bars are lit at max height. I would appreciate any input or suggestion. Thanks!
The UBG-16 is equipped with three plugs. One 9-pin for power, ground, backlighting and data recording, the two remaining 16-pin plugs are for temperature inputs. As viewed from the front of the instrument, the left plug is for EGTs and the right for CHTs. Try disconnecting the two 16-pin plugs and powering up the UBG-16. If all is well, all temperatures should indicate ambient. If all bars continue to indicate max temperature, please let me know what the actual temperatures indicate (numerical values) at the bottom left of the screen for each cylinder. You can toggle between the different cylinders by pressing the step switch to the right. At the top of the display, you will see a box around the cylinder for which the EGT (left) and CHT (right) is being displayed at the bottom of the screen.

Back