uAvionix EchoUAT/SkyFYX GPS...nice and compact!

SoCal RV Flyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal RV Flyer
I didn't realize how small the components were until I actually held them in my hand. Pretty cool. Waiting on a harness that will allow me to hard-wire the transponder instead of the unit "sniffing" data from the electrical harness.

Small size really opens up lots of mounting possibilities.

IMG_3454.jpg

Hi Socal
I would think you are using it for an ELSA? Will it work for other SLSA, like Sportcruiser that you know of?

Hi Socal
I would think you are using it for an ELSA? Will it work for other SLSA, like Sportcruiser that you know of?

Not quite sure on the applicability. Maybe someone will chime in, or you could call uAvionix.

This particular approach made a lot of sense for me, as I wanted to use my existing transponder (GTX 327) and I don't already have an existing WAAS GPS source.

I didn't realize how small the components were until I actually held them in my hand. Pretty cool. Waiting on a harness that will allow me to hard-wire the transponder instead of the unit "sniffing" data from the electrical harness.

Small size really opens up lots of mounting possibilities.

I've been debating that vs a Stratus ESG. My TXP is an older King KT 76A, but those are dirt cheap used. So I could buy the UAvionix setup and several used transponders and still be ahead of the game financially.

I already have -in in a separate box.

Obviously, the Stratus would be latest greatest, in and out, but you're tied to foreflight.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
I have a Garmin Aera and a GDL 39 but plan to forklift the KT78, install the Stratus ESG and use it for out only - I'm not ready to make the switch to Foreflight yet myself.

uAvionics got its start in the quad-copter/drone world so it makes sense that the boxes are tiny (or your keys are huge).

Do you know what kind of antenna/e you need for this system? I am looking at getting this for a Cozy Mark lV with an old Apollo sl70 txp. I would use the combined antenna/gps skyfxunit to replace the current dynon gps. The system includes one 978 antenna so it sounds like it transmits and receives on that, or does it receive on that and piggyback on the old antenna? It sounds like (for an experimental) this is by far the most cost effective solution which will feed weather and traffic into my Dynon panels, while also giving me wireless for the foreflight in my ipad. Just not sure how many holes I have to make in the airplane.

Do you know what kind of antenna/e you need for this system? I am looking at getting this for a Cozy Mark lV with an old Apollo sl70 txp. I would use the combined antenna/gps skyfxunit to replace the current dynon gps. The system includes one 978 antenna so it sounds like it transmits and receives on that, or does it receive on that and piggyback on the old antenna? It sounds like (for an experimental) this is by far the most cost effective solution which will feed weather and traffic into my Dynon panels, while also giving me wireless for the foreflight in my ipad. Just not sure how many holes I have to make in the airplane.

It requires two additional antennae, which both come with the bundle. The belly-mount one looks a lot like a transponder antenna (pic) and the other is a standard GPS puck (or the combined GPS/SkyFYX puck you mention) that should be mounted externally on top of the aircraft somewhere, although some guys with bubble canopies have mounted them on the glare shield. So I think you need both a transponder antenna and a UAT antenna on the belly. I just ordered my coax antenna cable from Aircraft Spruce...requires two male BNC connectors.

Here's the mounting bracket I fabbed up. It will go from the panel to subpanel, just to the right of the radio stack, and components will face down so I can easily see the status LEDs (well, maybe I'll use an inspection mirror for this so I don't have to dive under the panel!).

IMG_3458.jpg IMG_3457.jpg

That's what I thought. Now need to figure out where to place that antenna. Do you know how far it needs to be from the original txp 978? Guess I 'll need to come up with a mounting rack too - that looks pretty solid.

That's what I thought. Now need to figure out where to place that antenna. Do you know how far it needs to be from the original txp 978? Guess I 'll need to come up with a mounting rack too - that looks pretty solid.

I believe it's about three feet. You can download the installation manual at the uAvionix website...click on EchoUAT and you'll see the link.

I'm aware that this is a rather old thread but would like to get some follow up on how this unit worked and how the install was. I asked one of the distributors of the Echo unit about the length of the coax for the belly antenna and did not get a clear answer. I believe I will need to order a longer coax cable in order to get the required 40" of separation from my belly mounted comm & transponder antennas. Any insight is appreciated.

Back