uAvionix (Aerovonics) AV-30 PIREP, Please

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
Friends -

Has anyone installed the experimental version of the uAvionix (Aerovonics) AV-30? If so, are you happy with it?

I'd appreciate hearing PIREPs, pro and con. Thanks!

I think their biggest backlog is for certified. When it comes out you'll see a flow of pireps.

I think their biggest backlog is for certified. When it comes out you'll see a flow of pireps.

I think you're probably right. I was hoping to hear from Experimental users, but it seems as though most people are waiting for the certified version.

I think you're probably right. I was hoping to hear from Experimental users, but it seems as though most people are waiting for the certified version.

It has competition at its price point in the experimental world, but there's nothing that does what it does for $2k in the certified world, so I think this is correct.

Does anyone know if it is legal to install experimental avionics in a certified plane if they are not required avionics? Thinking of putting one on the co-pilot side. I'm guessing not but maybe it could get a NORSEE approval.

Friends -

Has anyone installed the experimental version of the uAvionix (Aerovonics) AV-30? If so, are you happy with it?

I'd appreciate hearing PIREPs, pro and con. Thanks!
I haven't tried it yet, but I was disappointed to find out that (unlike the G5, which is only a few hundred $$ more) it won't be able to serve as your primary CDI. The AV-30's HSI mode will be "advisory only", and limited to RNAV, so it can't replace your mechanical CDI. :(

I haven't tried it yet, but I was disappointed to find out that (unlike the G5, which is only a few hundred $$ more) it won't be able to serve as your primary CDI. The AV-30's HSI mode will be "advisory only", and limited to RNAV, so it can't replace your mechanical CDI. :(

It also won't...yet...drive an autopilot. The G5s work out of the box now, and the HSI is slaved to a magnetometer, which can be placed where there are no crazy swing errors.

It also won't...yet...drive an autopilot. The G5s work out of the box now, and the HSI is slaved to a magnetometer, which can be placed where there are no crazy swing errors.
Note that the G5 also includes GPSS, which cost me a couple of thousand $$ even used for my STEC 20. The only thing the DG/HSI flavour of the AV-30 has going for it is its round form factor (which I love); otherwise, it's far less functionality than the G5 for almost the same price. :-/

Note that the G5 also includes GPSS, which cost me a couple of thousand $$ even used for my STEC 20. The only thing the DG/HSI flavour of the AV-30 has going for it is its round form factor (which I love); otherwise, it's far less functionality than the G5 for almost the same price. :-/
Yup. Looks pretty, but g5 is getting new features rapidly.

On the GPSS comment - I have my B/K HSI connected to my STEC autopilot and IFD-540. I need to manually set course on the HSI that the IFD commands/requests. I’d need wires and another box to get GPSS. Are you saying with the G5, no box needed?

On the GPSS comment - I have my B/K HSI connected to my STEC autopilot and IFD-540. I need to manually set course on the HSI that the IFD commands/requests. I’d need wires and another box to get GPSS. Are you saying with the G5, no box needed?

The G5 HSI and the GAD29B adapter (which is normally installed along with the GMU-11 magnetometer if you have an AP) will take the heading error output from your GPS navigator and emulate GPSS roll steering for your STEC AP in heading mode. It will fly turns, holds, and courses that are set on your navigator. It's pretty slick. Flying VOR and LOC courses is a little different (track mode) but also works well.

The G5 HSI and the GAD29B adapter (which is normally installed along with the GMU-11 magnetometer if you have an AP) will take the heading error output from your GPS navigator and emulate GPSS roll steering for your STEC AP in heading mode. It will fly turns, holds, and courses that are set on your navigator. It's pretty slick. Flying VOR and LOC courses is a little different (track mode) but also works well.
If you have a single-axis A/P like mine, you can stay in GPSS mode for an ILS or LOC-only approach right up to the FAF (though you'll probably want to switch to VLOC tracking a bit sooner). For a non-precision VOR or NDB approach, I think you can stay in GPSS mode the whole way, as long as you're also actively monitoring the actual VOR or NDB (need to confirm).

Note that I have a separate STEC GPSS converter, not the Garmin G5.

If you have a single-axis A/P like mine, you can stay in GPSS mode for an ILS or LOC-only approach right up to the FAF (though you'll probably want to switch to VLOC tracking a bit sooner). For a non-precision VOR or NDB approach, I think you can stay in GPSS mode the whole way, as long as you're also actively monitoring the actual VOR or NDB (need to confirm).

Note that I have a separate STEC GPSS converter, not the Garmin G5.

Your experience is correct, though I've only ever flown one plane with an ADF and never used it, so NDB isn't something I've done. The STEC GPSS will fly a GPS or VOR all the way in GPSS. It will flash at you at the FAF on an ILS or LOC and stop working properly. You need to switch to TRK HI and have the CDI properly set.

Back