UAS Cert Question from Private Pilot

woywoyboy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
WoyWoyBoy
I thought I'd ask this question here because there seems to be both UAS and PP-ASEL wisdom in this area… I have a PP-ASEL but haven’t flown for several years due to the usual sorts of reasons (life, mostly). I’d also like to get the FAA drone / UAS commercial certificate fairly soon (mostly for photography and video-making reasons, not actually to make money), but the obvious way to do this — under the “existing certificate” route using my PP-ASEL — isn’t going to work because I haven’t a hope in hell of getting a BFR (or medical, etc.) any time soon. It’ll just be quicker doing the drone ground school and taking the full test.

So before I start drone ground school, when I eventually get to the IACRA bit (which I’ve not done before) after passing the test, will this still be counted as an upgrade to my existing certificate, or a new certificate? Is this going to confuse the FAA (or me)? I presume this is common enough that people have seen it before, but I like overthinking things…

1. I'd have to look to be sure, but pretty confident a Medical for your Private Pilot is not a requirement for the UAS Certificate. I was originally going to say the same for the Flight Review, but looking at the FAA website proved me wrong. https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/become_a_drone_pilot/#ech

2. The UAS Certificate is a completely different certificate and number. The color is even a little different than a normal airman certificate.

The full UAS written test is nearly a Private Pilot written. I suppose you could go that route. I don't know your situation, but I would almost think going and completing a flight review with an instructor might be the same trouble and cost, but be a lot more fun, even without a medical.

You don’t need a medical, and BFR is completely irrelevant on getting the drone license. And I hope you aren’t spending money on the course, if you have your PPL you already know most of the drone course.

The full UAS written test is nearly a Private Pilot written. I suppose you could go that route. I don't know your situation, but I would almost think going and completing a flight review with an instructor might be the same trouble and cost, but be a lot more fun, even without a medical.
Thanks! I guess when I started thinking about this I thought it'd be a good spur to getting back into active flying again, but, realistically, I'm so rusty it'd take months to get it together to pass a BFR. Plus I was vaguely thinking I'd need a medical to do the BFR, but I guess not. Given the similarities between the Private Pilot written and the drone test, it shouldn't take me more than a few weeks to do this (we shall see, of course). I'm assuming they won't ask me about VOR radials or things like that from my pre-GPS life :).

Anyway, it's good to know they're completely different certificates and not some sort of endorsement on my existing cert.

You don’t need a medical, and BFR is completely irrelevant on getting the drone license. And I hope you aren’t spending money on the course, if you have your PPL you already know most of the drone course.
The FAA seems to think I need a BFR if I do the drone cert using my existing PP-ASEL certificate, which is why I asked — I'm so rusty it'd probably take a lot longer to get back up to speed and get the drone thing via the BFR than just starting from scratch.

And in the grand scheme of things, a couple of hundred bucks to remind me of what's actually in both the Private Pilot and drone writtens doesn't strike me as a lot, especially to someone as rusty as me.

I thought the same until I looked at the FAA website. Per the link I posted above:

Existing Part 61 Certificate Holders
Eligibility:

Must hold a pilot certificate issued under 14 CFR part 61
Must have completed a flight review within the previous 24 months

...Anyway, it's good to know they're completely different certificates and not some sort of endorsement on my existing cert.

Maybe depends on how you get it but if you have PPL it's just an additional rating, no new certificate.

Yep, as others have said above:
  • It's a different certificate than your PPL and separate from it.
  • You do need a Flight Review if you go the Part 61/Part 107 route (the material for this is shorter, doesn't cost any money, can't be failed, and is done online through an FAA website).
  • If you don't go that way, you can take a written initial exam (60 questions, 2 hours, 70% minimum score to pass, in-person with a proctor, scheduled through PSI, $175 per attempt).
  • The Part 107 privileges are good for 2 years, and then you have to retake a recurrent exam which is free as of this year and completed online.
  • No medical certificate is required.
If you have any questions about drones or the material for the exam, don't hesitate to PM me - I've been a professional drone pilot for over 3 years now. I would definitely study for the exam but I also think it falls short of the PPL written in difficulty.

When I got the UAS Part 107, I was required to have a current FR.
I am a board member of DSAR (drone search and rescue) and teach around the country.

Maybe depends on how you get it but if you have PPL it's just an additional rating, no new certificate.

Incorrect. The UAS is a completely different certificate. I have three certificates in my wallet. My Commercial Pilot, my Flight Instructor, and my UAS. The UAS is even a different number.

The UAS Part 107 initial written covers a lot of material that should be common knowledge for most private pilots. But on the other hand, if it's been a long time since you studied any of the private pilot test material, you may be a bit rusty. Current pilots under Part 61 can take ALC-451 at FAASafety.gov, but I understand that you aren't current. Here's a short article that will be helpful. It's succinct and a quick read.

https://www.uavgroundschool.com/articles/preparing-for-the-remote-pilot-exam

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. To make it clear, I know a medical is not required for the Part 107 drone cert — I was just assuming I’d need a medical to do my BFR (since I had a medical for every BFR I’ve ever done so far and I’m a creature of habit :)).

Really the only issue for me was whether or not already having a private pilot certificate would complicate things if I didn’t do the drone cert via the existing pilot certificate route (which definitely requires a BFR, which I definitely have no hope of doing any time this year given my work schedules, etc.). It sounds like it’s a non-issue…

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. To make it clear, I know a medical is not required for the Part 107 drone cert — I was just assuming I’d need a medical to do my BFR (since I had a medical for every BFR I’ve ever done so far and I’m a creature of habit :)).

Really the only issue for me was whether or not already having a private pilot certificate would complicate things if I didn’t do the drone cert via the existing pilot certificate route (which definitely requires a BFR, which I definitely have no hope of doing any time this year given my work schedules, etc.). It sounds like it’s a non-issue…

Thanks again!

Yep, just study up, set up IACRA, suffer through scheduling with PSI, go take the exam, get your temporary cert, then your real cert in the mail "later". Don't have to even mention to anyone you have a Part 61 cert.

Yes, the UAS is a completely different certificate and not a new rating.

Yup, I was wrong about that I just checked and couldn't find the certificate then I remembered I just put it in the case with the drone because I didn't want to carry another card in my wallet.

Back