UAL Aircraft Internet?

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
One the flight home from PDX today I turned on my computer in flight and was surprised that it latched onto an 802.11 access point in the plane from Clearwire. There was no WAN access but there was LAN. I am wondering if UAL is getting ready to put Internet access onto their planes? If so I hope to heck they actually start putting 12vDC outlets on the seats! Very few of their planes have it then only in 1st class.

*Cough* Did you see "Free Public Access Internet?" It was one of your fellow passengers running Windows.

No, it was a Clearwire access point not a windows computer

AFAIK Clearwire is not providing any of the internet services on aircraft.

It's GoGo and Row44 on other airlines.

More than 500 airliners are flying around the U.S. with wireless Internet access up and running, but airlines are finding that the technology that they hope will bring new revenues may be more like in-flight meals: People gobbled up food when it was free, but they find it a lot less appetizing when they have to pay.

But in tests and now in regular service, usage drops off considerably when travelers must pay for the service. Alaska Airlines even tested charging just $1. The result: a lot fewer laptops, BlackBerrys and iPhones signed on.

"There's a very substantial decline in passenger usage the minute you start charging for the service,'' said Michael Planey, a consultant specializing in in-flight passenger technologies. "It really begins to invalidate the model on which this service is being built for the next 10 years."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203706604574374571364228440.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Once again TEH INTERNET IS FREE!!!! IT MUST STAY FREE!!!! and fer chrissakes hurry up and build the infrastructure so we can get it at 100000bps everywhere!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mike- the link originally posted required registration as a paid subscription.

Back