U.S. Representative Cynthia McKinney (D-GA) punched a Capitol police officer??

F.W. Birdman said:
I see where she has apologized to Congress. How about the LEO who was doing his job to protect her and the other 534 "representatives"? Where is his apology?

Apparently, he did apologize.

CNN says:
"But Myart [her attorney] said that Gainer [chief of Capitol police] and other officers went to McKinney's office after the dispute and apologized for the officer's conduct. Myart also questioned why McKinney wasn't arrested on the spot for assaulting an officer, if that is in fact what happened."

I'm just posting the facts gleaned from elsewhere. No opinion in this particular post.

Greebo said:
Police say no racism behind McKinney scuffle

Tom DeLay really opened up on McKinney, and it sounds like grass roots Democrats aren't the only ones embarassed by this performance:

Having watched the interview on CNN...I think the Police should throw the book at her if it turns out she did hit him.

I think she should also face charges for inciting racial hatred, or whatever the charge is. Playing the race card is inexcusable. EVERYONE is subject to stoppage until they are identified - regardless of race, gender, age or whatever.

Video of the interview is availble at http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/06/mckinney/index.html on the right hand side

I hope she gets indicted, charged, and thrown out.

SJP said:
Having watched the interview on CNN...I think the Police should throw the book at her if it turns out she did hit him.

I think she should also face charges for inciting racial hatred, or whatever the charge is. Playing the race card is inexcusable. EVERYONE is subject to stoppage until they are identified - regardless of race, gender, age or whatever.

Video of the interview is availble at http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/06/mckinney/index.html on the right hand side

I hope she gets indicted, charged, and thrown out.

I think her accusations are why the Capitol Police is actually pushing this. They no doubt feel she's pushed them into a corner where they have to defend themselves and their reputation. Otherwise, like Alaskaflyer said, they would have just sucked it up and pressed on. I know I had to do that a couple times over the years, including once having had to apologize to a new Wing Commander for obeying his orders (in fairness, he later returned the apology.)

The good Congressracist, though, decided she thought she could make some political hay with this, and has. I'm not certain if she realized they would actually push back, to the point of charging her, as it seems is going to happen. Either way, she'll pump this up as long as she can. It's the only way she can get her name in the news since she's been marginalized by her own party.

she thought she could make some political hay with this
I wonder how well this is playing out in her home district, really. Her political "hay" sure turned out to be filled with fertilizer - it ended up all over her from both sides.

By her response to the altercation she has brought this upon herself. I'm glad this case is moving forward and not being brushed aside, it's time for all folks to be held accountable.

If she is found guilty will she be prohibited to serve in her current position?

Richard said:
If she is found guilty will she be prohibited to serve in her current position?

I believe that she'd be convicted of a felony, so yes.

Doesn't seem enough to rate a felony to me. Maybe misdemeanor assault.

MSmith said:
I believe that she'd be convicted of a felony, so yes.

Doesn't seem enough to rate a felony to me. Maybe misdemeanor assault.

I wonder if it would be a misdemeanor if you or I slugged a cop?? :dunno:

Frank Browne said:

If you or I had slugged a cop, we'd have been tased, slugged, and body cavity searched before booking :hairraise:

Joe Williams said:
If you or I had slugged a cop, we'd have been tased, slugged, and body cavity searched before booking :hairraise:
Some pigs are more equal - George Orwell, Animal Farm

All fo the Congress-critters expect special treatment. Want to guess who can bypass security at the ariports these days? Hmmm now we no longer here them complaining about long lines and search parameters. Want to guess who has opted out of social security, workplace safety regulations, etc. The Government has set themselves up to be outside they very laws they create and that is just plain WRONG.

Last edited:
Joe Williams said:

And carry that lovely taste of pepper spray for awhile!

Frank Browne said:

It's the definition of "slugged" that I'm questioning.

How much damage do you think a 40-year-old woman with a cell phone in her hand is likely to do?

I suspect that "hit" is a better term for what happened than "punched" or "slugged".

But, I could be wrong - I didn't see it and I haven't heard anything from a credible witness. We only have 2nd hand accounts from the officer and I don't believe a thing that the Congressslime is saying.

MSmith said:

How much damage do you think a 40-year-old woman with a cell phone in her hand is likely to do?
Not sure I agree with this logic Mark. If I understand what you're saying correctly... if my wife and I are equally angry with a police officer, and both lose our tempers, and both take a swing at him, the fact that I'll do more damage makes my action more egregious? I don't care if she's a 75 lb 80 year old woman. Take a swing at a LEO, suffer the consequences.

http://www.mugshots.net/zsa_zsa_gabor/

Chip

MSmith said:

I suspect that "hit" is a better term for what happened than "punched" or "slugged".

But, I could be wrong - I didn't see it and I haven't heard anything from a credible witness. We only have 2nd hand accounts from the officer and I don't believe a thing that the Congressslime is saying.
What I'm curious about though, is whether or not the law allows for different levels of potential damage done by a human hand upon contact with a LE officer's person. For example, about three years ago my wife was robbed at a gas station by 4 guys that pulled up next to her at the pump. One guy jumped out and attempted to snatch her purse from her shoulder. She instinctively recoiled, and the guy actually contacted her trying to get her purse. The Police officer that answered the call told my wife that just by him touching her, his crime was no longer simple robbery, but had become an assault.

MSmith said:

I take it you've never been slugged by an adult woman. I have. Don't ask me why, but I had befriended an, uh, unstable, woman and tried to help her back on her feet. One day she gathered up some of her hatefilled life and sucker punched me in the solar plexus. Knocked the wind right out of me and back a few feet. Left a nice bruise for a week too. She was tiny compared to McKinney.

MSmith said:
Apparently, he did apologize.

CNN says:
"But Myart [her attorney] said that Gainer [chief of Capitol police] and other officers went to McKinney's office after the dispute and apologized for the officer's conduct. Myart also questioned why McKinney wasn't arrested on the spot for assaulting an officer, if that is in fact what happened."

I'm just posting the facts gleaned from elsewhere. No opinion in this particular post.

So it was the LEO's fault for doing his job? Super. OK, open the doors and let everyone in with no checks. Let's see how long the critters survive. I think she truly believes she is someone special and above the law.

She would not make a decent pimple on an LEO's bohiney. Or on a dispatchers bottom!;)

April 07, 2006
Congresswoman McKinney & The Admiral
By Victor Davis Hanson

Georgia Democratic Rep. Cynthia McKinney's recent run-in with a security official at the nation's Capitol reminded me of an earlier dust-up.

On New Year's Eve 2002, while I was a visiting professor at the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, the superintendent - the distinguished three-star Vice Adm. Richard J. Naughton - tried to enter the academy without wearing the photo ID required of all military and civilian personnel.

Naturally expecting that the young Marine sentry on duty would recognize his all-important superintendent, Naughton boldly tried to pass. But instead, the Marine asked him to produce identification. Angry words and some sort of altercation ensued between the admiral and the enlisted man.

Later, Naughton claimed he couldn't "remember" whether he had "touched" the guard, but he did concede he "might" have done so.

After a lengthy, ultimately damming investigation, Naughton resigned - first from his post as academy superintendent and then subsequently from the Navy altogether. During the investigation, some skeptics at Annapolis had doubted whether Naughton would pay any price. But his exalted rank, along with his race and gender, won no exemption.

I mention the Naughton case to illustrate that such mix-ups at government checkpoints are not unusual - and that eventually public pressure catches up with aristocratic arrogance and even the powerful are held to account.

Cynthia McKinney recently had her own Naughton moment when she tried to enter the Capitol.

Like the admiral, she took umbrage when confronted by a guard who didn't recognize her and was merely trying to do his job of protecting a government facility. She, too, found herself in some sort of physical altercation with a lowly subordinate. But that's where the comparisons end.

All the facts are not yet known, and McKinney is an elected official not subject to military accountability. But her reaction to this similar incident tells us a great deal about the pathologies of our current culture.

After witnesses related that McKinney was asked to stop three times - and replied with some sort of shove - she went public at a press conference. There she resorted to the now all too familiar fallback positions unavailable to Naughton. Surrounded by celebrities like Harry Belafonte and Danny Glover, McKinney said, "This whole incident was instigated by the inappropriate touching and stopping of me, a female, black congresswoman."

Note how she covered all the bases to preempt a possible indictment, putting the onus on the aggrieved. Plus, in our star-struck culture, we equate celebrity with gravitas. And so we are supposed to believe that an otherwise clueless Calypso singer or action-hero actor lend credence to McKinney's wild charges.

McKinney not only played the race and celebrity cards, but the feminist one as well - as if the dutiful policemen had kept his job this long by allowing unrecognized white male elected officials to enter checkpoints without showing identification.

And if race and gender were not enough, McKinney evoked the standard sexual harassment code words "inappropriate touching" - as if a randy guard were trying to grope the defenseless congresswoman.

McKinney realizes that claims of victimization are the keys to conning our system - and that the more accusations of racism, sexism and harassment the better for turning the cowardly aggressor into the heroically aggrieved.
Some of the official response so far has been depressing. The leading Democrat in the House, California's Nancy Pelosi, initially dryly dismissed the incident with, "I would not make a big deal of this."

Fine, except this same congresswoman recently referred to Vice President Dick Cheney's handling of his hunting accident as a "manifestation of the arrogance of the White House. They don't come clean with the American people. They think they are above the law and above accountability to the American people."

Note Pelosi's words "arrogance" and "above the law." Is deliberately slugging a federal security official at a Capitol checkpoint less arrogant or illegal than how Cheney behaved after accidentally peppering a friend during a private hunt?

So, what can we learn from the McKinney moment?

Slandering someone as racist and sexist is now supposed to do for Democrats what the old wealth and power purportedly did for Republicans - give them an unfair advantage and allow them to evade the rules.
Progressives once gained credence because they insisted merit should outweigh class, money and connections. These days they are losing credibility when they insist race and gender should trump merit and facts.

America has learned to apply the rules to a Vice Adm. Richard J. Naughton; now it must also insist on them for Rep. Cynthia McKinney.

I agree, KP. Some folks are missing the point about security as well. I worked for Computer Sciences Corp for a long time. At HQ, everybody got ID'd whether security recognized them or not. Security doesn't know if a person had their ID yanked for some reason, and good security dictates that the ID be examined and the picture match the face.

Back