U.S. Army setting up contractor airdrop operations in Cameroon

A lot of the Army drops are done with CASA 212s. If they just would have purchased C-27s they wouldn't have to be contracting out. :(

Working in Africa can be...well, entertaining at times...

We once landed in Pointe Noire ( Congo ) with an air ambulance aircraft in the midst of a civil war....

The locals were convinced that we were there to conquer their airfield...

They got very excited, started shooting in the air and surrounded us with armored vehicles...

They couldn't speak one word of English ( except yours truly, the crew was 100% American ).
If not for my explanations in French, I think they would have arrested us...( they looked extremely angry...)

You can't make up stories like this one...:nono:

Let me state for the record: I have no intention of doing this.....I hope all took it for the joke it was. My "interesting" flying days are over. :yes:

Let me state for the record: I have no intention of doing this.....I hope all took it for the joke it was. My "interesting" flying days are over. :yes:

Bummer. I thought I was going to get a combat static line jump out of it.

Cleaning the Browning Hi Power right now. It's about the right time for another vacation.

Nah, leave the Browning and take the S&W Model 59. Hi Powers only feed ball ammo reliably. Yeah you can try polishing the ramp, but....

Nah, leave the Browning and take the S&W Model 59. Hi Powers only feed ball ammo reliably. Yeah you can try polishing the ramp, but....

The MK III Hi Power which came out in the late 80's is designed to feed hollow points. I bought mine in 1994, and it feeds hollow points just fine. I'd take the Colt 1911, but figure 9MM would be easier to scrounge there. :D

I can drop you over Compton.... :D

Compton ain't got nothing over Oaktown!

The MK III Hi Power which came out in the late 80's is designed to feed hollow points. I bought mine in 1994, and it feeds hollow points just fine. I'd take the Colt 1911, but figure 9MM would be easier to scrounge there. :D

Ah. Mine is early 80's vintage. Guess that 'splains that.

I still preferred the S&W (I have two 39's) for IPSC competition.

The 39's, and 59's are nice pistols also. S&W although known as a revolver company made, and is still making some very nice autos. I prefer the older all steel ones too, although don't have any.

Wrong weapon entirely. There is only one weapon to carry for that type of use, an AK 47 or one of its derivatives except the short shell...AK-74?

Wrong weapon entirely. There is only one weapon to carry for that type of use, an AK 47 or one of its derivatives except the short shell...AK-74?

Soviets have used the AKM since the 70's and pretty much only use Ak 74's (5.45 mm) assault rifles these days. Why they chose to deviate from standard NATO rounds eludes me.

Soviets have used the AKM since the 70's and pretty much only use Ak 74's (5.45 mm) assault rifles these days. Why they chose to deviate from standard NATO rounds eludes me.

Because the Soviets were not NATO, they were Warsaw Pact, the enemy.

I've got a video of a private company dropping pallets to us on our FOB in Afghanistan. It was a small, all-white twin. Casa probably. Was really cool to see.

You going into battle? I'm not.

You going into battle? I'm not.

That is the wrong answer for anyone going to that region, because the real answer is "Maybe" no matter who the hell you are. If I was flying unsupported missions in that area where the people will try to shoot you out of the sky to get what's on your plane (a buddy runs a flying service over in Congo flying the product out of the mines, he loses planes every now and then to being shot down), I want a weapon that I can completely ignore and abuse through the workaday world and when the s- hits the fan, I want it to fire on rock and roll regardless if I'm in the sand or mud or whatever, and I want one that uses the ammo that EVERYBODY in Africa has. Go to Africa sometime, AK-47s are like Cell Phones here, even kids carry them. I never see any other weapons there or most of the rest of the developing world.

It was a joke Henning. :rolleyes:

Because the Soviets were not NATO, they were Warsaw Pact, the enemy.

Henning, I KNOW THAT!!!!!!! But the logic of developing and producing a ballistically similar but incompatible round when there are existing massive stockpiles of 5.56 ammo the Soviets could never use if they got a hold of it eludes me.

Henning, I KNOW THAT!!!!!!! But the logic of developing and producing a ballistically similar but incompatible round when there are existing massive stockpiles of 5.56 ammo the Soviets could never use if they got a hold of it eludes me.

Ummm, well, using the enemy's ammo works both ways...

Back