Typical NE Flying

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
Flight service says winds 280@6 pretty much throughout the area. 3000 feet was 280 @ 15, clear, 3122, no pireps. Sounds like a banner day where one should not miss the opportunity to fly!
They neglected to mention light to moderate turbulence. The clouds which invaded midmorning at 8,000 feet. The headwind, crosswind, and tailwind all at once.
At first I thought I was just a bit out of shape for flying since it's been about 6 weeks. Then I heard almost every inbound and outbound to BOS ***** and moan, asking for higher, begging for lower. Then the pireps happened.
All day long! But 3 hours of the most complex flying I've had in months. I used all my training and had a ball. Fortunately, my flying buddy gracefully bowed out.

Flight service says winds 280@6 pretty much throughout the area. 3000 feet was 280 @ 15, clear, 3122, no pireps. Sounds like a banner day where one should not miss the opportunity to fly!
They neglected to mention light to moderate turbulence. The clouds which invaded midmorning at 8,000 feet. The headwind, crosswind, and tailwind all at once.
At first I thought I was just a bit out of shape for flying since it's been about 6 weeks. Then I heard almost every inbound and outbound to BOS ***** and moan, asking for higher, begging for lower. Then the pireps happened.
All day long! But 3 hours of the most complex flying I've had in months. I used all my training and had a ball. Fortunately, my flying buddy gracefully bowed out.

Not as bad here in SW PA, but still one of those weird, disturbed-atmosphere days where the air doesn't quite know what to do.

The ride was -- lumpy.

On the way back from the airport I saw three flags within 4 miles -- each pointed straight out a different cardinal direction.

It was an interesting day, wasn't it! Our first leg we were up at 10K and just barely out of the tops. It was decently smooth, so long as we didn't touch any of the ninja clouds. Anything below the bases (about 8.8 or so) was just a butt kicker all afternoon. By the last leg tonight, 16K wasn't high enough to be at the bottoms, but things had finally calmed down by about 7:00. At the surface it was about 14-16 degrees, I think...8K feet over Boston it was -18...very strange day aloft.

crap I thought you meant Nebraska

Back