Typical Guy Wires

You are smart, and I'm sure you've thought about this, but I'll mention it anyhow.

A smart pilot will listen to anyone, anytime. (I still learn tons from low-time or student pilots, usually by the questions they ask) The opportunity to learn and become safer by hearing from experienced & skilled folks like you Jesse, is invaluable.

Vision is more important in this type of flying than it has ever mattered before. The typical two year cycle of updating prescription/glasses is not enough. A slight degradation in vision that hasn't been corrected will not be noticeable to you in day to day life but could easily kill you when you're flying that low over that much ground.

Wow, yes - I am learning about this. Each fuel stop, I meticulously cleaned the windscreen and I noticed that I could no longer tolerate the usual fingerprint on my glasses and sunglasses. You want to be able to soak in every pixel of the view ahead!

One final tip, while flying low it can be tempting to focus your vision close to you (as you are close to hitting things). This is a dangerous trap. If your eyes are only focusing on what will happen in the next few seconds, you will only have a few seconds to react to such obstacles. Make sure your vision is focused as far ahead as you want time to react.

I had read this comment before most of the flying and it is so true. Also because the tracks flown were 1/2mi apart we started taking note of obstacles in the next track over so as to be prepared for them. Hypervigilance was the standard.
Thanks, man.

Why are you futzing with the mixture on every pass?

That's a decent question, Tar

Leaving the mixture rich enough to make the turns at the end of each run means running it way too rich for the cruise portion.
(That rich, the engine sounded like it was gargling and generally getting ****ed at me. Plus there was the issue of fuel conservation and endurance. Sometimes a fuel stop was a bit far...and the less fuel stops the better.)

Leaving the mixture lean on the turns, where significant power was needed (the turns needed to be pretty aggressive) meant the TIT would get too high for comfort.

And you know, like many things, this can be learned and soon it is automatic - approaching the end of the run I would crank the mixture in a few turns and power up - barely thinking about that part of it.

Oh my gawd…. Are you really considering a job that you need to fly below towers and worry about guy wires???
Oh my….

I have discovered there are many aviation activities going on safely every day which I used to absolutely consider to be outside my comfort zone. Ever watch those helo pilots who thread ropes along the tops of new high tension towers all day long? An ag pilot would laugh at my 'scary' 100' passes - he does way more at 24 inches or less lol! As aviators, it's ok to open our minds to other types of flying.

I have discovered there are many aviation activities going on safely every day which I used to absolutely consider to be outside my comfort zone. Ever watch those helo pilots who thread ropes along the tops of new high tension towers all day long? An ag pilot would laugh at my 'scary' 100' passes - he does way more at 24 inches or less lol! As aviators, it's ok to open our minds to other types of flying.

ideal spray height for most jobs is to have the boom 8-10 feet above the crop canopy.

that said many growers wanted the wheels/skids just above the crop. whatever…it’s their money.

Never did any long line work or power lines but I did lots of ag in the helicopter. Mostly at night.

If you have any questions about the low level ops shoot me a pm. I’m an Airbus guy now but I have 9 years of ag experience.

Back