Type ratings: Other aircraft specified by the Administrator?

\__[Ô]__/

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david
The rules for type ratings (Far 61.31) include
(a) Type ratings required. A person who acts as a pilot in command of any of the following aircraft must hold a type rating for that aircraft:
(1) Large aircraft (except lighter-than-air).
(2) Turbojet-powered airplanes.
(3) Other aircraft specified by the Administrator through aircraft type certificate procedures.
Are their any examples of the third item - a non-jet, less than 12,500lb max gross aircraft that requires a type rating?

The definition of "large aircraft" is given in FAR 1.1. A large aircraft has a maximum certificated takeoff weight of more than 12,500 pounds.

Large aircraft means more than 12,500 lbs. maximum certificated take off weight (from FAR 1.1).

Piper Cheyenne is either turbojet powered nor "large".

\__[Ô]__/;1564748 said:

Are their any examples of the third item - a non-jet, less than 12,500lb max gross aircraft that requires a type rating?

Most all the warbirds over 900hp do now I think.

\__[Ô]__/;1564799 said:
Interesting. Unfortunately, I don't know what most of them are. But it does list the Cheyenne: PA-42-720 (restricted) for whatever "restricted" means...
That seems to meet the under-12,500 and non-jet criteria.

P38 is in there, and I saw a couple other warbirds.

Don't know about the list but, I have a few hundred hours in a Cheyenne IIIA and there was no requirement but a multi engine and of course IR for FL180 and above.
What confused me was the word "either", I guess he means neither.

The antonov an2 single engine requires a type rating,due to weight. I flew a Cheyenne and never needed a type rating.

\__[Ô]__/;1564799 said:
Interesting. Unfortunately, I don't know what most of them are. But it does list the Cheyenne: PA-42-720 (restricted) for whatever "restricted" means...
That seems to meet the under-12,500 and non-jet criteria.
My guess is that it applies to one licensed in the restricted category with a max weight over 12,500 lbs.

\__[Ô]__/;1564748 said:

Not quite a type rating, but the R-22 requires a model-specific endorsement.

Not quite a type rating, but the R-22 requires a model-specific endorsement.

Yeah, there are a couple others that have an SFAR for some specific training, the MU-2 has one as well; correct, not the same as a Type Rating, more like a Tailwheel endorsement.

Back