Type II diabetes -60 days or 90?

U

Unregistered

Let's just say I got some bad news today about A1c, and the doc put me on metformin. I've searched the posts here and they seem to say that I'm grounded for 60 days. But the Dr. Bruce template letter and other posts imply 3 testing visits which works out to 90 days. Can anyone here who has been through this recently give their experience ( assuming, of course, that the meteor in works and keeps he below 125)?

Don't ask here. Contact AOPA medical or Dr Bruce directly.

Hemoglobin A1C is a historical number showing your blood sugar levels over the past 60-90 days.

So if your A1C is high enough to be put on metformin, you need at least 75 days to get a number that's "stable" and shows a reduction to the A1C that got you pegged as Diabetic.

Below 7.0, you're tagged DM2 but showing adequate control. 7.0-7.9% you'll be issued with a counseling of get it in control. 8.0%-9.0% is issuable, but with major reluctance and a stern warning to get healthy and like, now!

The required doctor status letter items are
  • Statement you are being treated for DM2 and your recent A1C number backed up by the blood lab report
  • What medication are you taking, what dosage, what frequency, and are there any side effects.
  • Examination and report Any problems with nervous system, especially peripheral nerves
  • Examination and report Any problems with cardiac system
  • Examination and report Any problems with eyes and retina
  • Examination and report Any problems with kidneys

If your A1C is above 6.5%, this will be a special issuance. AME of the quality like Dr. Bruce Chien can minimize the deferral time by making sure the submission is done properly.

If your A1C is below 6.5%, you can qualify for the CACI Pre-Diabetes issuance. This means, the AME can issue you in office, but this is your "yellow card" to stay at that level and not let it get to 6.5% or higher.

Getting your blood sugar under control is imperative. It very much is an "But I feel fine" killer disease. I know of an acquaintance under 40 with 3 kids that still has not come to grips and proper control, even after first losing 2 toes, then his lower leg (gangrene from the toes), and 2 major cardiac events, and now in stage 2 kidney failure.

Blood sugar monitors are inexpensive. Getting one and then using the guidelines from the American Diabetes Association will help.

Walmart makes a home A1C test under their "ReliOn" brand. This is the same item that was being sold under the Bayer brand. They cannot be used to report to the FAA, but for a home test are reasonably accurate. The official lab result was within 0.2% of the home test. I use these for "in between doctor visit" monitoring.

Like Murphey said, working with a top level, very experienced AME such as Dr. Bruce Chien is optimal. Just don't get connected with a "take your $80-120 and defer everything" AME.

Last edited:
Certificate aside, I strongly suggest that you enroll in a diabetes education course. It's kind of hard to fly when your feet are gone, your kidneys have stopped working, and you've gone blind -- all possible outcomes of poorly-controlled diabetes.

For DM2, disciplined diet, exercise, and weight loss are really the best treatments. Medication is secondary. Also, if you let it get to the point that you need medication other than metformin, I believe it's no longer a CACI issuance. So for both your flying and your health, it pays to deal with this disease aggressively right from the start.

Rich

My AME and AOPA told me 60. After waiting that long and going through the special issuance the FAA regional office told me its 30. Regardless, it is unlikely that anything less than 60-90 is going to show a good enough reduction in A1c to qualify anyway, so that would become the determining factor, not the Metformin. I was able to go from 10.5 to 6.5 in 60 days, but that was with major lifestyle changes, Metformin, lots of exercise, and 40 lbs weight lost. Even so, the doc said she'd do the test to see but cautioned me not to expect amazing things due to the short (in A1c terms) test window. I would speak to Dr. Bruce, but one thing I would do differently (besides speaking to him myself) would be to consider sending in everything I could during the grounded time. I waited until I had the good A1c at the advice of my AME. I now question that as a lot of stuff could have been cleared up ahead of time while I was waiting (and/or at least have figured out everything I needed so I could have gotten it the first try). As it was I had about an additional 2 months of delays after the acceptable A1c result due to the additional info I kept having to track down.

Years ago my sugar was high, and my doctor wanted to put me on metformin, but I refused. Instead, I lost weight, cut out all fast food, sodas, and starchy foods, and started drinking a lot of water. I still have more weight to lose, but my A1C came down, and without the meds.

Metformin is a crutch. Better to change your lifestyle and improve your health without it.

Mine did not take that long, My AME placed me on metformin sent my package in to the FAA and I received the Medical in the mail.

from the first of January to now my morning blood glucose checks are down from 125/130 to 90/100.

I do the low carb diet too. no soda pop. no candy, no pasta. My snacks are nuts, cheese or Jerky. and I'm on an exercise program.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back