Type 2 Diabetic and feet tingling and numbing (neuropathy)

F

Florida wannabe

Was diagnosed as Type 2 with hands and feet tingling and feet numbness in the toes and ball of feet.
Was prescribed Metformin and Januvia over a year ago.
Read where those meds were OK, and ever since I started taking them the A1C had been checked every 90 days and been 6.3-6.5. So A1C well in check with meds.
I was also prescribed gabapentin for the feet tingling, so I have been taking it for probably a year with no side effects at all, But that particular med is no bueno with the FAA.
I probably can stop taking it since it is only for the tingling sensation and he said "take these, they MAY help.
I asked my primary if i was safe to get my PPL physically, and he said yes, but I am 99% sure the diagnosis of neuropathy is my medical records as a diagnosis for feet tingling and numbness, and he is no FAA cert doctor.

My question is..... if the words NEUROPATHY is in my records, is it a lost cause to get a PPL and maybe just go for LSA or gyro? I still walk, run fine, can feel my feet and everything, just a burning sensation/numb feeling, like i have been sitting on them for a while.
I have been looking at the Van's RV-9A and 12's, but would like to be able to take 4 occasionally, thats why I was going for the PPL but I have also thought about the tandem gyroplanes (AR-1), they look fun, LOL.

I have not even started a pilot course yet, just been reading all the FAA online books and stuff.

Florida:

You're going to need an occupational medical evaluation of the remaining proprioception (position and force sensation) in your feet, as sufficient to allow operation of aircraft rudders. Most occupational med places will do this "with regard to operating pedals". Most AMEs can do this but it carries much more weight it the AME "agrees" with the external qualified assessment.

This becomes a year by year special issuance. And you're correct you cannot be on just about any of the neurologic modifiers- because of subtle effects on the brain (they cross the membrane "blood-brain" barrier to do their thing).

You may want to consider an RV12 and Light Sport, as the neuropathy is progressive. The future is not going to get better. You will eventually need meds to control the sensations SO YOU CAN GET TO SLEEP.

Florida:

You're going to need an occupational medical evaluation of the remaining proprioception (position and force sensation) in your feet, as sufficient to allow operation of aircraft rudders. Most occupational med places will do this "with regard to operating pedals". Most AMEs can do this but it carries much more weight it the AME "agrees" with the external qualified assessment.

This becomes a year by year special issuance. And you're correct you cannot be on just about any of the neurologic modifiers- because of subtle effects on the brain (they cross the membrane "blood-brain" barrier to do their thing).

You may want to consider an RV12 and Light Sport, as the neuropathy is progressive. The future is not going to get better. You will eventually need meds to control the sensations SO YOU CAN GET TO SLEEP.
Thank you for the quick reply doc.
I think I agree with you to stick with the Light Sport side of things, as I can already tell the sensations are getting slightly worse as time flies by.
I forgot to mention that I am 56, but I am overweight by about 30-40 lbs, so I plan on losing some of it, but being realistic, probably not all of it, LOL
I am planning on buying a plane so I can enjoy the little time I have left to be able to enjoy it.
So far, the sensations have not interfered with any of my activities, I still drive nice and smooth, have no problems with the pedals, still operate my tractors fine. The only thing that is getting worse is the standing on my feet part, after a while that hurts.
I will check with my PCP and see if he wrote down neuropathy, if he did, its LSA for me.
Thank you again!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back