Type 2 Diabetes

U

Unregistered

I have SI for type 2 Diabetes on metformin- no problems for 5 years- now doctor says I need insulin, what do I have to do to keep my medical....

If your blood sugar is under 180, you should not spill glucose in your urine.
There is no test - urine or blood - for the presence of insulin.
That said, there is good reason for concern if one flies with poorly controlled diabetes; too low or too high may lead to loss of consciousness.

First you should learn why your doctor wants you on insulin if there were "no problems" with the Metformin.

Second, once you understand that, you should take care of health first and worry about flying later. It's possible to get an SI for insulin-controlled diabetes, but I believe (Dr. Bruce will correct me if I'm wrong) that it's only for third class medical.

Please, don't lie on your medical application.

What you have to do is whatever Bruce says. Expect him to be along sometime in late evening after he gets off work -- you probably just missed him last night after he went to bed.

The switch sounds odd to me, if everything has been fine.

Also, my impression (just from being a diabetic, not from having any medical training or knowledge) is that there are other oral medications that usually are tried before insulin is started...

Possibly consulting with a second endocrinologist might be a good idea?

-Rich

I can't give medical advise, just certification advise. The routine for third class certifcation with insulin is:

TWO HB A1c's 30 days apart, the "current one" witin 30 days of application.
Letter from the doc-
....that you have been educated as to the physiology of diabetes and can make good treatment decisions (a gruaduation certificate from a hospital course will do, too, for this part).
....that you have no nephropathy, nor neuropathy.
....that you have had no hypoglycemia that required outside intervention for the past year and not more than one in the past 5 years.

...opthalmologist's dilated exam - no retinopathy.
...letter from CFI saying he has seen you to be able to manage to measure your glucose while acting as PIC.
...Stress treadmill if over 40, negative, with tracings, fasting lipid profile, and serum creatinine.
...Two Hb A1c's >90 days apart, the last one ithin 30 days of application.

If you want to have a great decade in your 70s, your doc is probably concerned that your control right now borders on "sucketh". You might thnk its' good, but he know otherwise. If the file is good, I can get this one on the phone. But the file has to be good.

Annually, you need to submit 4 quarterly doc visit reports with quarterly HbA1cs and annual Opthalmologist's exam report. These can also be gotten on the phone.

Last edited:
Thanks Dr .I am taking metformin and amaryl but my blood sugar is going up I think insulin is the way to go...

If I need a stress test for my SI when should I get it and how long before I go to AME.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back