Type 2 Diabetes Question

U

Unregistered

My 3rd class medical has expired and I need to go for the exam this month sometime. Just last month I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes that I do not have to take meds for. My diet and resulting weight loss seems to be controlling it. Does anybody know how hard and how long it will take to get the medical done.

Diabetes that is controlled by diet and exercise is not a special issuance. It is done in the office :)

Bruce, what does he need to bring? Does he have to have demonstrated control for a certain period of time? I thought that once diagnosed with Type II diabetes, even without meds, that you had to have a certain history of control as evidenced by A1C?

A note form the doc always helps, saying just what the poster put up. It's even better if there's a HbA1c, but for the no meds situation, it's not required. The note makes it easier for the AME.

Always make it easy for the AME.

Thank you for the input. My dilema is this: I was diagnosed last month after I went in for a routine physical. I had just started a diet to loose a couple dozen excess pounds. When I called to check on the bloodwork I was told that the doc wrote diabetes on my chart and to schedule an appointment. I freaked and went and bought a glucometer and began testing myself daily at various times. My levels ranged from 120 to 140 with the average around 135. I've been on a low carb reduced fat diet for about a month. I went to see the doc Wed night and he told me that my A1c was 10 and I should start meds. When I showed him the memory of the glucometer he said that those results should yield an A1c of 7 and he thinks we should try just controlling with diet right now as I've lost about 17 lbs in the last 5 weeks. He did not do a new A1c and wants to wait until June for that. If I divulge the 10 to the AME I fear that will cause problems with getting the medical. Since this is controlled without meds do I even have to report it as diabetes. And if I do, given the above scenario what problems can I expect? Thank you for your help.

You need to self ground for a few weeks anyway until the doc gets the HbA1c. 10 and you SHOULD be grounded. If you ask for the doc's letter, he'll not lie- he'll say the HbA1c was 10.

One of the rare times I'll actually GIVE advice (not just how to work certification): You shouldn't be flying like that anyway. There is a 90 day stabilization period for diabetes, because you don't really know that "diet and resulting weight loss seems to be controlling it". You only know that it likely will have a great impact, and when you get a Hb A1c of 8 or hopefully 7 you'll know and be able to show it did.

By letter of the law you can get a cert now as you don't have the meds. But my advice to you would be do NOT attempt to fly, so you might as well sit out the days until the HbA1c. The longer you wait, the lower it will be (it's the last 90 day' moving average of your control, and as you get lower, it too will go down). At a 135 average level, you vision will not be quite right. You shot a "10" because your overnight glucose is completley out of control, an is your one hour postprandial (after eating) glucose.

At 150 average you'll be on insulin. You DON'T want to go THERE.

So don't go to the AME until you have the new HbA1c in hand. It'll be a few months, but you will live MUCH LONGER and have a lesser risk of Heart Attack and stroke for doing it right, as well as much less of a chance of your vision blurring out in flight.....if you don't fly for a while.

IF you don't get a decent HbA1c in 90 days, a marginally obtained medical would be of no use anyway, as Diabetes is on the part 67 list of grounding conditions and you would be grounded anyway (so for this one you can't self certify between medicals).

In short, you can get a medical based on not taking the meds. But right now it's marginal and not safe. My advice: stay down, get it under control, show that it is under control, save the $80 for the medical until you can get it right.

My email from this site works.

An update of this situation. I've lost 54 lbs to date, as mentioned before on a reduced calorie, fat, and carb diet - watching everything but in particular carb intake. I have a goal of 165. My last A1C was 5.5 a huge drop from the 10 I had in April. I did get my medical without special issuance but I did provide supporting documents to the doctor doing the medical. My regular doc issued a letter stating that I am now classified as glucose intolerant and not diabetic. My fasting blood sugar is still a tad high at 110 (should be 90 - 105 I think) but my expectations are that it too will drop as I lose more weight. Thank you Dr Bruce for the advice.

That's very good news, congratulations and keep up the lifestyle changes! I find it amazing how relatively "simple" the fix can be - I've lost about 45 lbs since last December, still eat well (Weight Watchers points system), and while my glucose was never that high and my A1C has been consistently normal, both my doctor and I are a lot more comfortable with the skinnier me - now if I gain 5 lbs I won't be pushing my systems to or past their limits.

Best wishes and enjoy your flying!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back