Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, while holding Class 3

N

NewDevelopment

I currently hold a Class 3 medical with a couple years left on it.

I am expecting to be diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes tomorrow. My last A1C test came back at 11.5, my doctor requested a follow up to discuss the results

I have 3 questions:

What impact does this diagnosis have on my current medical?

Is there anything I need to watch out for treatment wise that could place future medicals at risk?

If I don't pursue another medical, can I fly under BasicMed and if I already have the training and physical, is there anything I need to do before flying under BasicMed with this diagnosis?

Bonus: How much difficulty/time/money should I budget for this issue if I choose to go after a Class 1?

That's high!
At least in the short term your physician is very likely going to suggest insulin injections. If you can get very aggressive about lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, weight loss) you may be able to come off insulin later.

My understanding of the reg is that since this is a potentially disqualifying condition, you have to self ground. Consult with AME or FAA.

Controlled diabetes is not disqualifying, there is even an insulin "pathway", but it is a process.

First and foremost, take care of your health. Diabetes is a terrible disease which rots blood vessels all over your body. Take it seriously.

IIRC the A1C must be 6.5 or below for the AME to issue the Class 3 in the office. Anything higher....welcome to OKC and an SI. As Kevin pointed out, take care of you first!!!!

In addition to any meds, losing weight is always the first non-medical step to controlling T2D. I haven’t had that much success this year, working from home, but I have been able to keep the A1C under control with oral meds and my stationary bike.

HbA1c of 9.0 or greater is grounding until speical issued at below 9.0.

Hit the gym.
Get on meds.
Lose the flab (if any)
Circle back in 90 days and get the NIDDM worksheet done, new HbA1c, signed and get a new flight physical.

Attachments

• Diabetes(Oral.Worksheet)10.07.19.pdf
    25.9 KB · Views: 137
I **believe** the answers above are related to continued flying under your 3rd class or getting a new 3rd, 2nd, 1st class.

You can immediately switch to BasicMed if you have the Doctors visit/signoff and the appropriate AOPA course (every 2 years) as long as you remain under the BasicMed limitations. If you attempt another 3rd/2nd/1st class then you will have to get the SI to use either the new medical of continue with BasicMed.

Both AOPA and the Mayo Clinic offer the basic med courses (basicmed.mayo.edu). 11.5 is in the "you're killing your kidneys and retinas" zone. You need to get that under control before anything else.

Last edited:
Yikes, 11.5 is high. Cut back on rice, bread, potatoes and pasta and eliminate sugar. That should get it way down right away. I’m sure your doctor already told you this.

That's high!
At least in the short term your physician is very likely going to suggest insulin injections.

Every doctor will be different. I started out at 13.5 and brought it to the 7's without insulin or radical changes. I primarily took my oral meds and watched what I ate.

My advice is don't let your family Doc steer this boat, get a good Endocrinologist early on. I floundered for two years with the family Doc, but the Endo got me in good shape pretty quickly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back