TYPE 1 DIABETIC PILOTS

Joshua M. Frazier

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Josh F.
Looking to see if anyone on here can answer some medical questions for me on this. I hold a Sport certificate, but I'm looking really hard at upgrading to Private, since that's what I started training as before I found out I had late onset Type 1 diabetes. Luckily, my AME didn't turn in my medical to the FAA, but he clearly stated "Sorry, there is no way you can fly with Type 1." I've talked to a different AME, and he wasn't very positive nor experienced with providing me information with the issue.
My question, is wether it is worth the hassle to go for it, or just stick with my Sport ticket. I've never "passed/failed" a 3rd class medical, but I would REALLY hate to lose my Sport ticket and not be able to fly at all. I'm not looking for commercial ratings, just expanding my options of aircrafts and an IFR rating. Anyone who has been through this that could give me a little feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!

Type 1 treated with insulin is doable as a "special issuance", or SI. The submission just needs to have all the right items and in the proper format so the lower level reviewers at Oklahoma City can approve without kicking it back to you for more information or sending it upstairs to the over loaded doctors.

The AME guide has the information you want. See this page. https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...c_cons/disease_prot/diabetes_insulin/initial/

That explains what information you will need to gather from the doctor treating you for Type 1 and other doctors.

You will also need to demonstrate before and during a flight checking your sugar level and taking the appropriate action depending on what the reading is. Information about that is on this page. https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...c_cons/disease_prot/diabetes_insulin/monitor/

Renewal information is on these pages:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ons/disease_prot/diabetes_insulin/subsequent/

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...es_Insulin_Re-Certification_Status_Report.pdf

Since you have found two AME's that aren't helpful, I suggest "upgrading" to an AME who is known as being a Senior AME who specializes in "difficult cases".

If you are unable to find one in your region who is able and willing to help you, then we strongly recommend contracting with Dr. Bruce Chien of Bolingbrook, IL, www.aeromedicaldoc.com Dr. Chien can provide guidance in what to go get, review what you have obtained for completeness, and can conduct the exam once he says the submission packet is all there and good and you are in his office. I'm also pinging @bbchien so he will know to visit this thread and add any details I missed.

If you do find a difficult case AME close to you who is the right guy/gal, then be sure to stay within the guidance of a consultation visit until the AME says with greater than 100% certainty that you will be issued the SI.

For details in consultation visits, read https://tinyurl.com/ame-consult

Once you are issued the SI, the letter you get from OKC about it will detail the steps and requirements to keep flying under the SI. In a nutshell, you will need to submit regular status reports from your doctor saying that you are properly managing your disease, there have been no bad events, and essentially all is well. IIRC, that's done annually.

Hopefully this has helped. Please post additional questions as you think of them.

Last edited:
I do many a year ... just hoops to jump through as aggiemike outlines

yup.
quarterly care
two HbA1cs ?90 days apart, the last one within 30 days prior to flight physical
Letter from the treating doc:
No hypoglycemias needing outside help in the prior year, at most one in the prior 5 years.
Well educated, makes good treatment decisions
Discussion of diet in grams of carb vs units of insulin- SPECIFIC discussion of diet and dose.
If over 40, stress treadmill to Heart Rate = 90%*(220-YourAge)
Statement that here is no nephropathy no neuropathy, no know cardiovasc/cerebrovascular disease.
I use a letter from a CFI as to watching you do a fingerstick and remaining in control of the aircraft (it's a DEXTERITY statement).
w/I 90 days prior, dilated exam by an opthalomologist stating no diabetic retinopathy, or if there is some, substatntialy normal Humphrey 24-2 or 30-2 visual fields (each eye separately).

Have done about 40.
Fill the squares!

How would this work if said pilot had a valid medical then came down with insulin treated type 1 diabetes. Would basicmed then be an option?

How would this work if said pilot had a valid medical then came down with insulin treated type 1 diabetes. Would basicmed then be an option?

Diabetes is not a medical condition under §68.9 requiring a one-time special issuance, so yes, BasicMed is an option.

Sorry, late to the party. So if you get a special issuance for type 1 diabetes and wish to fly under basic med in the future you can do so? Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back