Type 1 Diabetes

liddicjt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
liddicjt
Hello

I am a 21 year old looking to obtain my pilots license. I have been a Type 1 diabetic since I was 13 years old.

I keep getting mixed answers from people and figured this would be the place to get a straight answer.

My diabetes is extremely well controlled ON insulin. My hemoglobin A1C is at 5.9% and has been for 2 straight years. What should I expect with my medical exam? I had all my information sent to the FAA and will be setting up an appointment with a certified MD shortly.

I wear contacts, but other than that and having type 1 diabetes, I am in perfect health. I just wanted to know what to expect and what extra steps I need to take in order to get my license.

Thank you!
Jim

Bruce Chien will be along shortly with the answers you seek. Wait for him, and don't send anything more to the FAA until you hear from Bruce, who probably would have told you not to iniate contact with the FAA until you had all your ducks in a row.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. Looks like I'll be tracking down some paperwork from my doctors!

I am a type I diabetic, and a certificated private pilot with a class III (special issuance) medical. Feel free to contact me via private message and I am happy to share my experience on making it happen.

liddicjt, here's the list of stuff you're going to need. This is LONG.

Letter from your treating doc:
"Jim has had no reported hypoglycemias in the last 5 years that require treatment (outside intervention).
Jim has been educated as to the control and physiology of diabetes and can make good decisions (or a graduation certificate from an educational course).
Specific mention must be made as to your diet and dosages.
Jim has no known coronary disease, nephropathy, nor neuropathy."

TWO HbA1c's 90 days or more apart,
Dilated Opthalmologist's exam: "No diabetic retinopathy".
Letter from the CFI: "I have watched Jim in flight, he has adequate dexterity to be sole manipulator of the controls AND check his blood sugar in flight."

I've done a BUNCH of these, if well prepared, an AME can get this one on the phone but it's uncommonly done that way. 15/ for 15 so far.

Hello

I am a 21 year old looking to obtain my pilots license. I have been a Type 1 diabetic since I was 13 years old.

I keep getting mixed answers from people and figured this would be the place to get a straight answer.

My diabetes is extremely well controlled ON insulin. My hemoglobin A1C is at 5.9% and has been for 2 straight years. What should I expect with my medical exam? I had all my information sent to the FAA and will be setting up an appointment with a certified MD shortly.

I wear contacts, but other than that and having type 1 diabetes, I am in perfect health. I just wanted to know what to expect and what extra steps I need to take in order to get my license.

Thank you!
Jim

If you're not too far away, it would be well worth a trip to Peoria (with the requisite documentation) to get your medical directly from Bruce.

liddicjt, here's the list of stuff you're going to need. This is LONG.

They also asked me for several years worth of records. That was probably the biggest hassle to get through, because I am treated at UCSF and had to go through the hospital records dept to obtain them... by the time I finished submitting all the paperwork, it was several inches thick. But I got the medical so I ain't complaining.

They also asked me for several years worth of records. That was probably the biggest hassle to get through, because I am treated at UCSF and had to go through the hospital records dept to obtain them... by the time I finished submitting all the paperwork, it was several inches thick. But I got the medical so I ain't complaining.
The sad part about that is, if your doc had known what to write, none of that would have been necessary........

The sad part about that is, if your doc had known what to write, none of that would have been necessary........
:yeahthat:
Jim, when Dr. Bruce gives you sample verbage (like he did above), make sure that your MD follows it precisely in his letters!

Jim,

Been there, done that! I'm one of the ones Dr. Bruce was able to issue in his office on the spot. With your A1c, you should have no problem -- IF your documentation is in order, and IF your AME knows what he/she is doing and is willing to go the extra mile. If you don't go see Dr. Bruce, I'd suggest at least that you don't want to be the first one of these your AME has done. Look for someone who is well-informed about the SI process, and who is willing to pick up the phone and advocate on your behalf.

Make sure you pay specific attention to the exact wording as noted by Dr. Bruce, as it's what the OKC folks are looking for, and anything deviating from that is a red flag. Above all, as the doctor is fond of saying, OWN YOUR OWN MEDICAL!

If you do a search of the medical forum over on the Red Board (AOPA), there have been quite a few posts about this over the years.

Best of luck to you!

I'm getting that sense now... damn. It could have been a lot simpler. But I just didn't know where to go! my AME was absolutely confident there was no way to get a medical with type I. He was so adamant about it I was THIS close to giving up on my dream there and then. And he was zero help afterwards. I ended up running and coordinating the whole show myself, and it took seven painful months full of learning the FAA procedures, quite a bit anxiety and an incredible amount of paperwork to get it done.

Dr. Bruce, how I wish I'd known you then.

Seems utterly retarded that FAA publishes ACs with the exact wording they want out of the pens of CFIs, but can't see fit to do the same for AMEs for conditions like this. Hell, a form with checkboxes would cover it.

Even worse, Doc Bruce points out regularly that if the correct words are on the paper, it's done with a phone call. If the wrong words are on the paper with the exact same health issues, the process and bureaucracy kicks in and there's at least a non-zero chance they'll deny the person.

Utterly retarded.

It happens because the Medical Standards Branch has Zero responsibility for getting the the word out as to "what they want". I have an airline captain who retired to the sim, who wants a 3rd class, on Insulin and an oral agent, who has fallen victim to this syndrome. No matter, we're changing to accomodate these new, unpublished standards, but Whadda pain.

The problem is the PACE of change and the disparity to communication.

Please everyone understand this is not about how good you feel. It's about how you look to a congressman who is conducting the investigation before the cameras.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back