Two Years of Flying

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
September 8th marked two years since my first flying lesson. A week or so before that marked when I got hooked, thanks to Missa taking me flying and let me have the controls (note: handing someone a properly trimmed plane goes a long way in that regard). In the past two years, aviation has gone from just a job to a major part of my life. Some bullet points from the past two years of flying:

- Completed PP-ASEL, PP-ASEL-IA, CP-ASEL-IA, CP-AMEL-IA, and CFI checkrides (3 rides this year, 2 last year)
- Flown to all the states in my signature
- Gone to Wings, 6Y9, Tony's graduation, and Gaston's
- Done enough real instrument approaches in the past 3 months that, split up, would maintain currency for the next 12
- Logged almost enough hours in 5 days to qualify someone for a private (30 hours in 5 days)
- Logged more hours in one day than it took me to get to my first solo (12.1 logged waking up in Oklahoma and going to sleep in Pennsylvania via Illinois, Deleware, and CT, solo'd at 10.7)
- Bought the Aztec (and have been flying it like mad since)
- Flown more hours in the past 6 months than in the previous 18
- Lost count of the number of animal rescues I've flown, but the total number of animals saved is somewhere over 75 in the past year. This weekend I'll transport another 22, bringing the number to over 100, with 47 of those being over the course of two consecutive weekends
- A bit over 450 hours flown total (another 10+ this weekend)

Most importantly:

- Met some of the finest people I've had the privilege of knowing

You all have been great friends, and are a strong part of the reason why I'm doing this. Thank you for being so supportive!

And to think, 8 years ago today I looked out the window of my senior year English class in room 5W15 at Brooklyn Tech and saw with my own two eyes what horrific acts could be done with airplanes in the hands of those determined to do ill unto others, and had no desire to ever go near a plane ever again, much less fly one. How things have changed...

Last edited:
Wow! Ted, just wow! And I'm having a hard time finding the time to complete my IR. Good for you :thumbsup::D

You know I'm proud of the second sentance... I'm glad you had such a good experiance that day.

Thanks for going flying with me.

The Ted doesn't do things in a small way. Thank goodness he never got into drugs.

Wow! :cheerswine:

450+ hrs in 2 years,... that's crazy! Glad to know how much you enjoy flying and especially that you have found a great misson to use GA for.

Ted - you have some great accomplishments here. Congrats to you. In addition to knowing (through the comments of others) that you love flying, putting some of those funds towards selfless acts (with the pound puppies for example) really says alot of your character. I'll buy you a beer when we get together and if you don't drink; I'm drinking yours for you! haha. Congrats Ted!

Lemme know when you come across a little portly French Bulldog that needs a home.

Ted, that's great and you are a very motivated person. And I should add very compassionate.

Yeah, I know. And this weekend I'm only moving 22 dogs compared to last weekend's 23 (but I am transporting them further). No good! :no:

You've motivated me to pick up the pace, Tony. It's looking like I'll only fly 300-350 hours this year. I need to kick it up to at least 500 next year. ;)

you oughtta have your CFII/MEI by now. Im going to need an IPC after this month or next.

you oughtta have your CFII/MEI by now. Im going to need an IPC after this month or next.

Working on it. By my calendar, you're probably also out of multi currency this weekend, right? Maybe I'll fly the Aztec out to visit once I get my CFII/MEI and get you both in one shot.

After that, you can teach me how to avoid buzzards.

Working on it. By my calendar, you're probably also out of multi currency this weekend, right? Maybe I'll fly the Aztec out to visit once I get my CFII/MEI and get you both in one shot.

After that, you can teach me how to avoid buzzards.

if you avoid the buzzards you have to land.

had a red tail hawk fly about 20 feet under my left wing last weekend. :)

I had a blue bird flying about 20 feet off my wing last weekend, too!

600_10564074.jpeg

:)

not even close. this hawk had the brakes full on, talons out, pointed right at me. good thing i wasnt 20 ft lower :)

Poughkeepsie to Williamsport...piece a cake..now if only the WX would cooperate. See you in PA!!!

Ted that is ass kicking..

I got my PPC on May 16th 2007 and have 616.4 hours as of this morning...I have been a ton of places...and can almost remember every flight....

Back