Two years behind bars for lasering aircraft

After many appeals it will probably be reduced to probation and time served... and the fine will be waived due to the fact he is now unable to feed his family.

Let's get soft on crime.... seems to be the modern war cry....

After many appeals it will probably be reduced to probation and time served... and the fine will be waived due to the fact he is now unable to feed his family.

Let's get soft on crime.... seems to be the modern war cry....
Good enough… having a conviction like that on his record will make his life quite miserable going forward unless he does not care in which case staying in prison would probably be an upgrade in the first place.

Some idiot shined a laser pointer in my wife's eye a few years ago while we were having dinner in a restaurant..she was ready to kick his a$$...her eye bothered her for a few days after.

Wonder what the sentence would be if it was an unauthorized drone.
Remember the unauthorized Canadian police force drone that collided with a Cessna 172 at an airport? Zero penalties for any of the operators. (I linked a follow up article in the original post thread.)

curious...have any of you been hit by those Christmas / Party decoration boxes that split a laser into thousands of moving dots on a wall. I usually see them installed in such a way that a huge number of dots are heading into the sky.....

Christmas / Party decoration boxes

I have one of those. It says ''Caution. Laser. Do not stare into the beam or view directly with optical instruments. Avoid direct eye exposure.''

Since the beams move fairly quickly, a person would have to hold it up to the face to have direct exposure.

On snowy nights I point it upwards. It makes a pretty light show up to about 20 feet.

Otherwise since I live pretty close to the pattern for the local airport, I point it to the ground along the path to the garage. A pilot would have to be pretty low and know where the device is to even see it.

I don't get the big deal. Passenger jets just land themselves. The pilots are just there for show.

Dumb as dirt.
Guy at an EAA meeting last month talked about his lasing incident. The perp did the laser from a remote public storage location, where he had to use a card for entry (was the only one logged as there) and they had extensive security cameras covering the facility. Feds identified him pretty quickly. Had a bit of trouble finding him, but turned out he was ALREADY in jail for an unrelated offense.

The pilot had to turn up his cockpit lighting all the way due to blinding from the laser, and could see barely see outside the airplane ten minutes later. Landed using synthetic vision. The perp's laser had an aperture five inches across, with a power level 1000x the typical laser pointer.

Ron Wanttaja

Guy at an EAA meeting last month talked about his lasing incident. The perp did the laser from a remote public storage location, where he had to use a card for entry (was the only one logged as there) and they had extensive security cameras covering the facility. Feds identified him pretty quickly. Had a bit of trouble finding him, but turned out he was ALREADY in jail for an unrelated offense.

The pilot had to turn up his cockpit lighting all the way due to blinding from the laser, and could see barely see outside the airplane ten minutes later. Landed using synthetic vision. The perp's laser had an aperture five inches across, with a power level 1000x the typical laser pointer.

Ron Wanttaja
1 to 5 watts (1000x the power of a class 2 or 3r laser pointer)- believable. A 5 inch aperture? Something got confused somewhere. Pointing lasers have a small fan angle and shouldn't need a large aperture like those on a large telescope.

Finally caught one of these idiots. I'm assuming everyone knows not to do this by now?

Back