Two strikes and you're out?

U

Unregistered

I have had a pacemaker (dual lead) for about 3 years. NO followup problems. AND my blood pressure meds (Lisinopril 5 MG) has been reduced from 10mg to 5mg.

I have Macula Degeneration in my left eye (wet) vision 20/250.
Right eye 20/25

What is the likelyhood of getting a waiver or SODA or ?. AND what is going to be the ballpark costs and times associated with this pursuit?

Unfortunately, we no longer have a senior AME amongst us regulars who can answer questions such as this. The common and easy things, many of us can answer with a reasonable confidence. But the complicated items such as your heart and eye issue is something we will refer you to a Senior AME who specializes in "difficult cases".

One of the best in this line of work is Dr. Bruce Chien in Peoria, IL. He can be found over on the AOPA discussion forums or through his website, www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

The two areas you mention I have heard him discuss in the past and reach a successful conclusion. Just be 100% forthright with him and follow all the instructions he gives. If he says it can be done, and you do what he says, you will eventually have your medical.

The pacemaker SI isn't a big deal. It requires a 90 day grounding period (you're way past that) and positive follow-ups including a treadmill stress test or approved equivalent. You already know how much fun that is, I'm guessing. PM me if you want a pirep on that process. The vision thing should be a SODA issue. I have two friends that have significant dysfunction in one eye and they both fly with SODA authorization.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...am/ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/pacemaker/

Last edited:
As long as the conditions aren't interrelated (let's say you have diabetes and your vision problem stems from that), there's no reason why you can't meet the requirements for each special issuance and get certified.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back