Two small cracks in rudder - Cherokee 140

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Thread closed. Answered by our wonderful resident experts! :)

Last edited:
Previously stop-drilled cracks. Should have been documented in your logbook. Look at that corrosion.

Yea I was referring to the ones on the rudder (first two photos) that have not been stop drilled.

Yea I was referring to the ones on the rudder (first two photos) that have not been stop drilled.

Needs to be checked and stop drilled. No biggie (unless it's old bondo that is falling off...)

There's corrosion at the upper crack in the last picture. Just ignore it.

This plane just got out of annual two days ago...it has been looked over by two separate A&Ps (both who know these Cherokee's like the back of their hand). There has been no mention or any concern from anyone so far about corrosion. Not excusing your opinion, but just relaying what I have seen so far. My A&P will take a look at it this week. This airplane was essentially rebuilt in 2010 and has been here in AZ since.

Don't post pictures if you don't want it critiqued.

Looks like the "No Push" area has been pushed, and, yeah mtuomi, there may be bondo.

The lower stop-drilled crack has progressed past the stop drill holes.

This plane just got out of annual two days ago...it has been looked over by two separate A&Ps (both who know these Cherokee's like the back of their hand). There has been no mention or any concern from anyone so far about corrosion. Not excusing your opinion, but just relaying what I have seen so far. My A&P will take a look at it this week. This airplane was essentially rebuilt in 2010 and has been here in AZ since.

Like it or not, there is corrosion in the flap picture as Glenn pointed out.

Cracks in the areas you have cracks is not uncommon, consult with your mechanic for the appropriate course of action. Although the mechanics are human and things get missed you would think they might have noticed the cracks while they were doing the annual...

Don't post pictures if you don't want it critiqued.

Looks like the "No Push" area has been pushed, and, yeah mtuomi, there may be bondo.

The lower stop-drilled crack has progressed past the stop drill holes.

Yep I should have known better! I thought the no push area was where you were supposed to put all your weight on? And then bang on it a few times?

I was wondering why he flap and rudder were flapping in the wind the other day!

Cracks in the areas you have cracks is not uncommon, consult with your mechanic for the appropriate course of action. Although the mechanics are human and things get missed you would think they might have noticed the cracks while they were doing the annual...

Yea must be fairly common because I remember the 172 I flew during my PPL had similar cracks like that.

Although the mechanics are human and things get missed you would think they might have noticed the cracks while they were doing the annual...

Not being an immediate airworthiness issue, they could address the corrosion now for very little $$$, or in the future for???

Although I don't believe for a second that Tom is there, he did however tell me that he was taking an RV trip down this way. (the OP and I are both in AZ) Tom may have an odd way of communicating but the guy knows his stuff and will go out of his way to help a brutha out.

Back