Two questions

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
First, what is this airplane? There is a guy in Temple wanting to split costs of the hangar n things for flight time dry. I'm half tempted to try it out.

Second, can a C177RG be a 5-seat plane with 2 adults and 3 kids?
Thanks

1. Some form of a Grumman. Looks like an AA-5, but I'm not sure. Somebody with more knowledge of the line will come along, and give you a better answer.

2. Not that I know of, but again, somebody might have a better answer. In any case, they're going to have to be really small kids in the back.

I figure it would be about 800lbs of meat total, with about 350 lbs in the back. I know I wouldn't be able to hold full fuel but I think bladders wouldn't last that long anyway.

The FAA says it's legal to put two people under the same seatbelt, but in the same letter, they also said that unless the belt was designed for two (like some planes from many decades back), it probably wasn't safe. In addition, I can only imagine the back-and-forth between two little kids strapped together for any length of time.

So, while it would be legal to put three kids in the back of a 177RG, it would put the two kids under the same belt at serious risk of injury in event of an accident, and put the parents up front in serious risk of insanity in event of the flight lasting more than five minutes.

Looks like a Gruman, Tiger, Cheeta or Traveler with a lo presti cowl. Hard to see which from the photo.

You should fly that puppy a few times before you commit to any kind of a long term arrangement. It looks like an old Grumman American General.

It seems strange that you would get as far as you have in this deal without knowing the type of aircraft. Is this something you found on the Internet or in a publication of some sort, and you haven't called the owner yet?

Also, before you get into this, make darn sure the person you are dealing with is, in fact, the owner. There are a lot of scams going on lately.

John

I found it on the internet and wanted to be sure this is a plane I wanted to fly before I called they owner and talked with him about it. I will definitely take a few flights in it before I commit to anything and will definitely verify that he is the owner now that you point that out, thank you.

N74355 is a 1975 Grimman AA-5b currently registered to a Brile Christopher.

First, what is this airplane? There is a guy in Temple wanting to split costs of the hangar n things for flight time dry. I'm half tempted to try it out.

Thanks

Well now isn't that something. Plus the guy I talked to when I called was named Dave something. I was supposed to email him later this afternoon to get more information and pictures of the plane, I think maybe not now. Thanks guys, it's nice having multiple people to make sure things aren't shady.

N74355 is a 1975 Grimman AA-5b currently registered to a Brile Christopher.

N74356 is registered to a David Lacroix in Texas, and is a Brumman AA-5b also.
Don't rule out the plane till you look at it yourself. Then you can check on the actual N number, see the log books, check the registration, wipe oil off the belly, and anything else that seems appropiate. Looking doesn't cost anything.

Well what are the odds of that. I sent him an email tonight, we'll see what he has to say. In the meantime, I found another fun toy online. It is an HGU-39/P helmet. It has the wire for the headset, but no mask or mike. The seller doesn't know anything about it but is asking $30 for it. You reckon that's worth it? Maybe get a mask with a mike that I can use for O2 later on? Just something cool to have laying around?

First, what is this airplane?
A Tiger, for sure. And by the N-number and paint job, a late 1975 or 1976 model. If it's a 1975, check for delamination, as it's likely a purple glue plane. A Grumman-savvy mechanic can tell if there's cause for concern or not.

Thanks

That is a Grumman Tiger (verified by N number).. 180 hp fixed gear, fixed pitch. 50 gals fuel. Should have come with a wing leveler from the factory. This plane is a clean design and pretty slick. I have about 80 hrs in type, and have a few long trips in it. Short field takeoff is around 53 kts with the horn blaring but good control authority - it levitates compared to other 4 place singles

I planned my trips at 140 KTAS. It would keep up with older retracts like the Sierra, older Mooneys and 180 hp Arrows. There were some airframe issues in the 70's but all surviving airframes should be past that.

I'd be ALL over that Grumman.
And twice on Sunday

Well what are the odds of that. I sent him an email tonight, we'll see what he has to say. In the meantime, I found another fun toy online. It is an HGU-39/P helmet. It has the wire for the headset, but no mask or mike. The seller doesn't know anything about it but is asking $30 for it. You reckon that's worth it? Maybe get a mask with a mike that I can use for O2 later on? Just something cool to have laying around?

I don't know anything about masks, but for the sake of being awesome around the airport, I say buy it.

I hope the OP see that before he gets into a deal.

When I bought my aircraft my N number came up with the same response on FAA's website. It turned out that a signature was missing on one of the pink slip forms. FAA sent me a 30 (or was it 90?) days extention in the meantime.

Back