Two persons perish at my home airport

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
Sadly, a Saratoga based here at N99 crashed this morning a couple of hundred yards from the airport. The pilot and his wife, who were returning from New England, were killed. No names in the news reports but it's likely that I either knew them or at least knew them by sight.

So sad...

Dave Krall CFII said:
Low on fuel returning home ?
Doesn't look that way. There's more info available now. An eyewitness (a pilot whom I personally know) said that the pilot was about to make a gear up landing, tried to go around, but the prop struck the runway, and the aircraft veered to the left across the road into the woods.

RotaryWingBob said:
Doesn't look that way. There's more info available now. An eyewitness (a pilot whom I personally know) said that the pilot was about to make a gear up landing, tried to go around, but the prop struck the runway, and the aircraft veered to the left across the road into the woods.

Ah, THAT end of the runway... Thanks.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Sorry to hear about your loss. GA has had a stroke of bad luck lately hasn't it?

When you hear that ting ting ting, shut it down and live. Don't firewall it and roast. Sigh.

My condolences on your/our collective loss.

bbchien said:
When you hear that ting ting ting, shut it down and live. Don't firewall it and roast. Sigh.

I wonder, though, if he didn't hear the "ting, ting, ting" after he firewalled it and tried to save it. It may have sunk a little after the power went in. A tragic thing. I am sorry.

Aztec Driver said:
I wonder, though, if he didn't hear the "ting, ting, ting" after he firewalled it and tried to save it. It may have sunk a little after the power went in. A tragic thing. I am sorry.
...true and sad enough. But even after adding power, hearing ting, ting, ting...means power and fuel off, door open. Live to fly another day. Sigh.

Re: Two persons perish at my home airport (Dr. Bruce got it right)

bbchien said:

I'm sorry to say that you were dead right about the cause. A friend of mine witnessed the accident. He told me this morning that the pilot started to make a gear up landing, struck the prop, then attempted to go around. The engine crapped out at low altitude over the woods.

Thanks for your thoughts, Bruce. I didn't know the pilot well, but his Saratoga was hangared near my hangar.

Back