Two new planes

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
In two weeks I've had two new aviation experiences. first last week I caught a ride home from a CAP meeting at ILG with a member of our squadron that has an RV-6. I got about .4 in the plane and all I can say is WoW! that plane is so much fun. A bit loud for sure but amazingly fun and fast. Got me thinking about buidling then my wife gave me that look that said are you Freaking NUTS.

Second is that I have been having trouble finding an Archer to rent on short notice. Our FBO's Archer is very popular and hard to get any time in. So since I'll be flying 172s with CAP I was going to get checked out in the DA-20s at the field. Then they Got a Kappa. The American version with the wide cabin. Man that thing climbs like a bat and had a cruise of about 135mph and awesome vis. The short field abilities are awesome. Those rotax engines are a little disconcerting when the stop though.

Those rotax engines are a little disconcerting when the stop though.

Yeah, no kidding! You turn the key to 'stop' and it goes THUNK and the prop stops RIGHT NOW, no "winding down" like with a "normal" aircraft engine. I can't see how that can be good for things....

I think I read the Kappa stalls at 33kts or something with full flaps? That's crazy!

I can't wait to get a ride in it myself. It looks a lot more solid than virtually any other LSA I've looked at.

Adam I hadn't heard about the Kappa until you mentioned it, then I found a 2005 EAA article about it here. Also there is an October 2007 Plane & Pilot article here.

That staggered seating arrangement is bizarre. I would have to get used to that, and I'm not sure I like the idea after reading about having to reach for the throttle from the right seat. (Right seat 6" aft of left.) Do you really need that displacement with a 47" wide cabin? That's wider than a 172.

The landing gear is interesting - trailing link mains, that sounds good for soft landings, and even a steerable trailing link nose gear. I can't think of a plane that has a trailing link nose gear although I suppose there are some. Landing this thing sure sounds easy.

Sounds like fun, as LSAs all seem to be! And Adam I know a way you can add a Sky Arrow 600 Sport to your list, too! ;)

Yeah your right Andrew. I was worried it would be like flying a aluminum soda can but it wasnt'. It is a different experience for sure 5000 RPM in cruise. I kept thinking whoa I have too pull it back. The speed is pretty good. You can really crank it over in steep turns and once again that stick is just so damn intuitive, Its a hand break so thats odd but not to much of an issue. The think lands and takes off in what seems like mere feet.

As for stall speed IIRC its like 35mph not kts. The CFI checking me out warned me and said it a stall it will drop a wing in a flash and you can't predict which one. even with the ball centered You can definitly feel the buffet and the stall horn is basically a static type sound kinda weird.

Yes it dose drop a wing as I found out, We were up on the edge and WHAM, Next thing fields of white filled my wind screen ( by the way the Viz was AWESOME) but recovery was so simple it was a non even. Stick to neutral and advance throttle and zip your out perhaps1/4 to 1/2 turn max. Neat little plane.

Yeah, no kidding! You turn the key to 'stop' and it goes THUNK and the prop stops RIGHT NOW, no "winding down" like with a "normal" aircraft engine. I can't see how that can be good for things....

yeah there is no mixture so shut down is just left mag off then right and WHAP! It stops then Master off. I was like oh crap I broke the plane LOL.

Adam I hadn't heard about the Kappa until you mentioned it, then I found a 2005 EAA article about it here. Also there is an October 2007 Plane & Pilot article here.

That staggered seating arrangement is bizarre. I would have to get used to that, and I'm not sure I like the idea after reading about having to reach for the throttle from the right seat. (Right seat 6" aft of left.) Do you really need that displacement with a 47" wide cabin? That's wider than a 172.

The landing gear is interesting - trailing link mains, that sounds good for soft landings, and even a steerable trailing link nose gear. I can't think of a plane that has a trailing link nose gear although I suppose there are some. Landing this thing sure sounds easy.

Sounds like fun, as LSAs all seem to be! And Adam I know a way you can add a Sky Arrow 600 Sport to your list, too! ;)

Gee Kate, I didn't really notice the staggared seating but now that you metnion it I couldn't figure out why the rudder pedals on the Pax side were so far back I guess thats why. As for landing it you bet its easy I mean the landing is really a non event, You don't flair you just fly it to the runway I found it impossible not to land a greaser.

I flew in an RV this weekend and all I can say is WOW! I WANT ONE! It isn't likely to happen, but what a cool little airplane! Sort've like the airplane version of my Fireblade.

That Kappa sounds neat. Any photos? Paul was telling me about LOM getting one when I started with him last year.

Back