Two new FAA pubs : Risk Management and Advanced Avionics

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
A quick search of POA didn't reveal these being announced; I apologize if they were. Happy Reading!

The Risk Management Handbook

You’re not alone if you don’t have a clear understanding of what “risk management” entails. Fortunately, a new product from FAA is here to help. The Risk Management Handbook (FAA-H-8083-2), now available on FAA’s Web site, is a first-time publication designed to introduce the basic concepts of risk management.

This handbook offers practical tools that pilots at every level can use to systematically identify, evaluate, and reduce the risk posed by each flight. These tools include information on developing personal minimums; checklists; and scenarios for risk management, flight planning, and training. Although the handbook uses a few mnemonics, it’s not about memorizing acronyms. The goal is for pilots to choose a risk management tool that can be readily remembered and, most importantly, consistently used to make every flight safer.

Advanced Avionics Handbook

An important component of aviation risk management is understanding the aircraft and its systems. Both new pilots and those pilots new to “glass cockpit” technology can benefit from material in FAA’s new Advanced Avionics Handbook (FAA-H-8083-6).

Also a first-time publication, the Advanced Avionics Handbook is designed to provide general aviation pilots with comprehensive information on advanced avionics equipment available in technically advanced aircraft.

This handbook’s chapters include a detailed introduction to electronic flight displays, GPS and area navigation (RNAV), automated flight control systems, and advanced information systems such as weather data link and terrain awareness. Though it cannot substitute for the manufacturer’s guidance on operation of any particular avionics system, this handbook does a great job in presenting fundamental operating concepts for these systems.

FAA proofreaders don't check for possible double meanings. Or somebody's got a sense of humor. :ihih:

Advanced Avionics, page 13.

Pilot ability to perform in the event of equipment failure(s) means remaining current and proficient in accomplishing the manual tasks.

FAA proofreaders don't check for possible double meanings. Or somebody's got a sense of humor. :ihih:

Advanced Avionics, page 13.

I guess I'm slow. very slow. I just don't get it.

I guess I'm slow. very slow. I just don't get it.

Me either, perhaps the context is important? And just to eliminate the possibility that we are seeing opposite meanings, I took that sentence to state that a pilot needs to remain current and proficient at "manual tasks" (e.g. flying w/o autopilot) so they can cope with equipment failures.

Last edited:
OK, take that same sentence, and apply it to bedroom activities (or wherever you may have sex), and see if you spot the humor.

Back