Two Killed In Plane Crash On Tom Cruise Movie

Another movie not mentioned that Alan Purwin flew in was The Italian Job. Did the MD500 stuff in that movie. RIP.

Sounds like bad weather then into the mountain, CFIT. Sad event for sure.

Sounds like bad weather then into the mountain, CFIT. Sad event for sure.

My deepest condolences to the victims.

How does this kind of thing happen? Producers are usually super paranoid when it comes to stunts performed in less than ideal conditions. Was this a bad go/no go decision? :dunno:

I think it was a repositioning flight, but I could be wrong.
Jimmy Garland is a not only a good friend, but my MEI and handles all my training and maintenance. I got a call about 8:30 this morning and it's like a punch in the gut. I don't know his condition other than ICU. I have flown a good bit with him and I find it hard to believe he would fly into bad weather, but I guess that's what everyone says after an accident. He was the relief pilot in the Aerostar, from my conversations with him a few months ago, the main stunt pilot was much more familiar with helicopters than fixed wing. This was Jimmy's first move shoot and he loved it. I hope and pray that he survives and is home soon.

How does this kind of thing happen? Producers are usually super paranoid when it comes to stunts performed in less than ideal conditions. Was this a bad go/no go decision? :dunno:

CNN is reporting Jamie Foxx was the other passenger? Just sad for all. RIP.

How does it happen?! the pilot explains it himself! Quote " we are pushing the envelope in every way!" Unquote. He was not performing a stunt according to the write up. He simply flew into bad weather! Happens all the time.

CNN is reporting Jamie Foxx was the other passenger? Just sad for all. RIP.

The other reports say it was a Columbian pilot Carlos Berl. I think there was a picture of Jamie Foxx on Alan Purwin's website.

How does it happen?! the pilot explains it himself! Quote " we are pushing the envelope in every way!" Unquote. He was not performing a stunt according to the write up. He simply flew into bad weather! Happens all the time.

Jimmy, if you read the story, the shoot was over, they were returning to Medellin.

Last edited:
That would have been a good post, without the last sentence.

A friend who is working the movie gave me the list of Jimmy's injuries. I won't go into detail here, but I will say...he needs our thoughts and prayers.

I had the opportunity to meet Jimmy for the first time a few months ago. He freely gave of his time his talents and amazing spirit. He's truly the salt of the earth. Hoping for a full recovery.

damn that sucks.
S&S is good people.

RIP and prayers for the families

When I dropped off my Aerostar for sale at one of the most experienced and reputable Aerostar sellers and maintenance facilities, the owner had just come back from a test flight for the film with TC himself. I saw the script in his office and being in the business myself, I naturally asked a bit. The plane they'd flow was N375RA, but I'm not sure that's the one that crashed, although it's also a 1969 straight up normal aspirated 600. I think they were looking to buy 2 600's because of their great useful load and simple systems. They were gonna modify one for aerial filming.

RIP.

Yes, pretty sure it was N735RA.

condolences.

Two big ranges of rocks in Columbia.

Alan Purwin, killed in the crash, was the founder of Helinet Aviation as well as president of Shotover, makers of cinema camera gimbals for aerial filming. He was a legend in the aerial cinematography community. Alan flew on the original "Airwolf" series and almost every major motion picture in the last two decades. His company, Helinet, operates news helicopters across the country and also does free hospital helicopter transports for sick children.

From Helinet:
Friday September 11th, 2015

Alan Purwin was a great man, a world-renowned aviator, and a brilliant entrepreneur.

At Helinet, Alan was known for his passion, generosity, and ability to make us all feel as though we were a part of something much bigger than ourselves. We are deeply saddened by the loss of our heroic founder and our thoughts and prayers go out to the Purwin family.

Alan was both a pioneer in the film industry and committed philanthropist. His legacy includes many feats such as, conducting the first vital organ transplant mission in Los Angeles, supporting the first response rescue efforts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, and being the only American Hollywood Movie Pilot to fly throughout the People’s Republic of China.

Alan will be missed by everyone who has had the pleasure of knowing him. His entrepreneurial vision will be remembered by everyone who has had the pleasure of working with him. There are no words that can express our heartache for we have lost one of the world's greatest helicopter pilots and one of aviation’s greatest leaders.

Jimmy, if you read the story, the shoot was over, they were returning to Medellin. But, I shouldn't expect you to read.

I read it carefully. He might well have been moving the airplane, whatever. Fact remains it was bad weather and he elected to fly in it. " pushing the envelope." As for you....grow up.

I read it carefully. He might well have been moving the airplane, whatever. Fact remains it was bad weather and he elected to fly in it. " pushing the envelope." As for you....grow up.

Jimmy, I owe you an apology, in my haste, I misread your post as a snarky statement. Sorry, it's been a rough day.

Back