Two interesting planes at the local airport

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
Beech 18:

7oLIlddB

Gear up landing. I'm not positive about the specifics of this incident, but I "think" it was a student and a CFI, it's been sitting here for a number of months, untouched.

xGeJbBT8

I was curious if there was any damage underneath, so just snapped quick picture:
EWfx8p3m

Propeller with wingtips:

mgCMsBst

Gear up landing in an old arrow will just about total it on the insurance.
Local flight club had $35K insured value, engine at TBO, 3 blade prop.

Renter landed, girl friend in right seat filming, you can hear the gear warning on the video.
After a nice slide on the belly, the insurance company owned the airplane. And the renter was out $5K deductible.

There may be more damage to that arrow than you show. Belly damage, step twisted the fuselage former it is mounted on. And if the flaps where down, they have trailing edge damage.

Could it fly as is? 100 million dollars if you can do one lap in the pattern:wink2:

Cost of the prop and a couple flaps will nearly total the Arrow, they aren't selling that well these days.

Beech 18 worthless these days but the core on the engines will bring 20k at auction.

Beech 18 worthless these days but the core on the engines will bring 20k at auction.
Sadly that seems to be true. I have watched several 18s that have been up for sale for close to a year. No one seems to want them.

Ref: the second photo of the Arrow, above.

What is the thing protruding aft of the exhaust pipes? It looks like a high volume exhaust of some sort. All Arrows of this vintage (that I have seen) have them, but so far - no ID. I am confident that POA can cure this lack of knowledge!

-Skip

http://db.tt/EWfx8p3m

Both airplanes will fly as is.
I have seen it done - names changed to protect . . . . . etc.

Neither of these airplanes have enough value in the market place for anyone to spend the money to repair them. They will eventually be sold to a scrapper who will part them out.

What is the thing protruding aft of the exhaust pipes? It looks like a high volume exhaust of some sort. All Arrows of this vintage (that I have seen) have them, but so far - no ID. I am confident that POA can cure this lack of knowledge!

-Skip
It looks like a metal exhaust guard to keep the heat from the exhaust from melting the fiberglass cowling.

Beech 18 worthless these days
Super cool old planes, but who the hell can afford to feed and maintain one? Piston twins in general are a tough sell these days, and a pair of big old radials won't make it any better.

-Skip

Oil cooler

Sadly that seems to be true. I have watched several 18s that have been up for sale for close to a year. No one seems to want them.

with Spar thing as only obvious thing for me, wonder why? Not to mention the assload of cash required to keep it flying (maybe) and insurance. I would kill to own one. Got to fly one with Dr. Stan Musick when I was wanting to learn to fly in 1999 and it was incredible!!:yes:

The wife really loves em too!

-Skip

Cooling duct.

with Spar thing as only obvious thing for me, wonder why? Not to mention the assload of cash required to keep it flying (maybe) and insurance. I would kill to own one. Got to fly one with Dr. Stan Musick when I was wanting to learn to fly in 1999 and it was incredible!!:yes:

The wife really loves em too!
It is the cost of operating them in general (fuel, oil, parts, insurance...etc)that seems to drive folks away. Another thing is proficiency. I've been told by one of the most respected Beech 18 experts in both maintenance and flight instruction (Taigh Raimey) that you need to fly it regularly/often in order to be proficient and safe in the airplane. With the exception of the cargo operators, most folks don't have the time or money to fly them that often. It is not an airplane you own and fly 25-50 hrs a year.

Super cool old planes, but who the hell can afford to feed and maintain one? Piston twins in general are a tough sell these days, and a pair of big old radials won't make it any better.

The twin Otter has pretty much replaced them in the market they were built for. The T/Otter will carry more, is faster, and cheaper to operate.

the Beaver operators are always looking for 985 cores.

Obviously the girlfriends fault! Instead of calling out altitude and doing the prelanding check she was videotaping! :mad2:

I bet she didnt even pony up the 5k...sheesh

Arrow looks like a typical nose gear collapse, probably while taxiing.

Here is a fitting tribute to the wonderful Beech 18

It is the cost of operating them in general (fuel, oil, parts, insurance...etc)that seems to drive folks away. Another thing is proficiency. I've been told by one of the most respected Beech 18 experts in both maintenance and flight instruction (Taigh Raimey) that you need to fly it regularly/often in order to be proficient and safe in the airplane. With the exception of the cargo operators, most folks don't have the time or money to fly them that often. It is not an airplane you own and fly 25-50 hrs a year.

I'm sure very true, they are just fun to listen to especially from upfront. I flew with extremely knowledgable pilot who made it look easy. He allowed me to try and taxi it (again not a pilot) and it was very UGLY!! Some reason after we landed in Fort Smith I didnt get to try again.:no:

Arrow looks like a typical nose gear collapse, probably while taxiing.

Here is a fitting tribute to the wonderful Beech 18

Doesn't look like a nose gear collapse, there would be a lot more damage to the front cowling. Plus the rear step is all bent out of shape.

Agree, it is not a simple nose gear collapse, the aft part of the nose gear door is parallel with the bottom of the plane when closed, so to scrape it the mains need to be up as well.

Yeah, it's my understanding that they just forgot to put the gear down. I guess I should have taken more belly pictures. I'm sure it will be there when I go back to the airport to fly, so I'll have another look then. Also, the Beech 18 is maintained and flying regularly, I can only imagine what the upkeep on it must be.

I'll have to admit I've never seen an Arrow do a gear up but apparently it just skids along on the nose section and ends up supported by the access step because I don't see a scratch on anything else. How about the wingtips?

Back