two handed flare?

There is a difference between USER changeable vs. being set at the aircraft factory. Yes, SOMEONE has to be able to enter the speeds for a given airplane, but that does not mean the end user will be able to change them.

As far as the Grand Rapids thing goes, that, pretty much by definition, means the end user can change the settings because it is designed for, and marketed to, the experimental crowd.

Again, no direct knowledge. But it seems that someone besides the factory can change the setting then so would the owner. With Garmin that might be a bad assumption.

And yes, GRT settings are all open even if factory installed, S-LSA

Looked at a old manual, you can change the v speeds (which would be stupid to do), this doesn't change the fact that 172s come from the factory with a VR bug of 55kts.

Just google 172 G1000, look close and you'll see R on the tape and 55 on the left side.

Again, no direct knowledge. But it seems that someone besides the factory can change the setting then so would the owner. With Garmin that might be a bad assumption.

And yes, GRT settings are all open even if factory installed, S-LSA

Yes, anyone who knows the code or has the chip to open that menu can do so.

Shimmy damper conservation number one. Number two, how do you know what lift off speed is if you don't set your flying AoA below it and accelerate it off the ground? If you use the 'Book Speed' that is calculated for max gross and if you are light like solo in a 150 with a couple hours worth of fuel, you're gonna give up a lot of runway to me. People who 'pull' the plane off the ground and fly immediately have given up more ground roll than I did with my bit of extra drag.

Besides, for the typical student it is completely irrelevant to get a 'Maximum performance takeoff'. If you tag on an extra 50' onto 700' operating on 3000+' it really makes no difference. Come off the ground in a stable configuration all ready set for Vy climb has greater benefit. Plus the nose wheel shimmy thing, those are a nuisance to fix on 150/2 & 172s. With the nose wheel up early they last a lot longer.

I just pick up the nose until the wheel comes off the ground and hold that, it's really not a bunch of drag. Give it a shot.
There are some planes that demand nose wheel lightening. C-182, SR-22, M20J...but I have never flown a C-172 that signaled that it needed the front lightened. Maybe all of them had good shimmy dampers:dunno:

There are some planes that demand nose wheel lightening. C-182, SR-22, M20J...but I have never flown a C-172 that signaled that it needed the front lightened. Maybe all of them had good shimmy dampers:dunno:

Need and want are two different things.;)

Yes, anyone who knows the code or has the chip to open that menu can do so.
Now you're stepping outside of what the manufacturer intended. And since it's a certified Aircraft (we're talking about G1000 C-172 R & S) it's set at the factory.

It's not just shimmy dampeners.

Out-of-balance wheels and out-of-round tires also protest when left on the ground too long.

Like the "style points" I seem to be after, there's just something "right" about letting a plane fly into the air as soon as its ready. Conditions permitting, of course.

Now you're stepping outside of what the manufacturer intended. And since it's a certified Aircraft (we're talking about G1000 C-172 R & S) it's set at the factory.

Any Garmin Tech can modify the parameters. Even though the Factory sets it there because that's what Cessna indicates the value to be in the Type Certificate, those values can be changed by the application of various STCs which direct a "repainting" of the ASI arcs.

Thanks. Makes sense.

In addition to the control issue, on many airliners, rotation at earlier speeds can result in a tail strike. Scraping the tail during takeoff is generally considered poor form. :)

You haven't flown enough rental/flight school 172's :rofl::lol:

And as John Frank has pointed out and fixed on numerous Cessnas, the shimmy dampener is usually not the only thing that needs replaced if the shimmy dampener is regularly failing.

Rental places just keep replacing the dampener or servicing it thinking it's just wear and tear on the dampener and there's almost always loose crap in the entire nose wheel system contributing to the untimely death of the dampener.

And now that Cessna has fully integrated to the GE pricing model with their former GE folk at the helm, the trend will be worse. No one will want to spend $10K to fix a shaky nose wheel until parts start falling off.

Thanks for all of the information here. I spoke with my CFI about the trim and I also looked at the trim when it was set for takeoff. I am not sure where the trim was when I had a hard time rotating, but last night was WAY easier. I also made a conscious effort to trim on a long final and made the best/easiest landing so far.

So I guess I can cancel my new gym membership! :)

thanks!

And as John Frank has pointed out and fixed on numerous Cessnas, the shimmy dampener is usually not the only thing that needs replaced if the shimmy dampener is regularly failing.

Rental places just keep replacing the dampener or servicing it thinking it's just wear and tear on the dampener and there's almost always loose crap in the entire nose wheel system contributing to the untimely death of the dampener.

And now that Cessna has fully integrated to the GE pricing model with their former GE folk at the helm, the trend will be worse. No one will want to spend $10K to fix a shaky nose wheel until parts start falling off.

The word is damper sir, not dampener. Just putting it out there so others will know, otherwise I'd PM you.

Back