Two fatal accidents in AK last weekend - 4 dead, 1 injured

edo2000

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
edo2000
An Interstate Arctic Tern with two aboard near the Salcha River, east of Fairbanks. No word on the cause. Pilot was described as experienced, 81 years old.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alask...cle_5e576f76-43e7-11e7-9234-2f70d7687c80.html

A Twin Comanche crashed immediately after takeoff from a gravel airstrip near Haines. Witnesses said it appeared to stall out of a climbing turn. It crashed slightly offshore. Luckily some locals were nearby with a backhoe. The back seat passenger was alive but pinned in the aircraft. The tide was rising and the locals had to keep pulling the aircraft nearer to shore to prevent the passenger from drowning. Finally, responders arrived, cut the roof out of the aircraft, and medevac'd the passenger to Juneau.

http://www.ktva.com/locals-use-backhoe-chain-save-haines-plane-crash-survivor-rising-tide-351/

A Twin Comanche crashed immediately after takeoff from a gravel airstrip near Haines.
Wow, I didn't hear about this. I'm glad the folks worked so hard to help the only survivor. Weather was great Saturday, sure would like to know were the twin was based. I noticed the twin that ties down behind me was gone when I flew Sunday, It's a Piper. Very sad for sure.

Wow, I didn't hear about this. I'm glad the folks worked so hard to help the only survivor. Weather was great Saturday, sure would like to know were the twin was based. I noticed the twin that ties down behind me was gone when I flew Sunday, It's a Piper. Very sad for sure.

Bill. That twin parked near you was the one that went in. I knew the pilot well.

Bill. That twin parked near you was the one that went in. I knew the pilot well.
Sh**, that hits home for sure. Talked to him several times. Nice fellow. What the heck happened????? My condolences to family and friends..

The twin Comanche has a reputation for being rather unforgiving in a single engine situation. That reputation is not fully deserved, but if he was distracted and allowed it to fall below it's comparatively high Vmc on pitch up after the low pass...

Why the hell would you do a low pass when you already have an emergency on your hands?

Good point. I have flown over that strip many times assessing it for a possible emergency strip. For gravel it is pretty nice. Long enough for a Chieftain.

Not trying to Monday morning quarterback but I would have wanted to be on the ground instead of checking the landing strip over.

Probably wasn't taking the emergency serious enough.

Just a SWAG, but he might not have been treating the situation as an emergency. I have no idea.

Good point. I have flown over that strip many times assessing it for a possible emergency strip. For gravel it is pretty nice. Long enough for a Chieftain.

Not trying to Monday morning quarterback but I would have wanted to be on the ground instead of checking the landing strip over.

Just a SWAG, but he might not have been treating the situation as an emergency. I have no idea.

I was think that too

Back