Two fatal accidents fail to deter tourists

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
...which in my humble (or not so humble) opinion is a shame. If it turns out that both these accidents were caused by VFR flight into IMC (and thence Mother Earth) perhaps passengers should be sitting up and paying attention with their wallets, instead of shrugging their shoulders and filing aboard. Perhaps then pilots and operators will pull their heads out of their ***es.

I'm sorry for sounding harsh. But my girlfriend is on the other side of the state this weekend attending the funeral of two friends who died in a (noncommercial) crash that is also suspected to be VFR into IMC, though it is early.

Hopefully this link works without registration:

http://www.adn.com/front/v-printer/story/9256077p-9171058c.html

I was that stupid... once. I got either damn lucky or God has other plans.

...which in my humble (or not so humble) opinion is a shame. If it turns out that both these accidents were caused by VFR flight into IMC (and thence Mother Earth) perhaps passengers should be sitting up and paying attention with their wallets, instead of shrugging their shoulders and filing aboard. Perhaps then pilots and operators will pull their heads out of their ***es.

I'm sorry for sounding harsh. But my girlfriend is on the other side of the state this weekend attending the funeral of two friends who died in a (noncommercial) crash that is also suspected to be VFR into IMC, though it is early.

Hopefully this link works without registration:

http://www.adn.com/front/v-printer/story/9256077p-9171058c.html

I was there doing that not two months ago. I flew on a spectacular clear day. The only one of two during our two week trip to the Pacific Northwest. Our operator was professional and the equipment superb. But, I have yet in three trips to B.C. been able to rent becuase of clouds. Mountains and clouds scare the beejeebers out of me.

I think tourists are too ignorant to decide for themselves if the margin is too close so I don't see them responding with their wallets anytime soon. When I booked my flight months ahead I knew I was gambling. That way if the weather was "iffy" I could make my own "go-no-go" without worrying about the money. Worrying about the money does makeit difficult to say "no".

I wonder if the average passenger can even get the correct data to determine which airline is safer. To be honest, I'm not entirely certain I could do so either. That just leaves routes and price.

Back