Two episodes of snycope

U

Unregistered

I've had two episodes of syncope in my life after intense exercise. One was 10 years ago and the other was 2. After the second time I went to a cardiologist because I had an abnormal ekg. It turned out it is just a abnormal because my heart is tilted to the left which doesn't cause any issues but can cause abnormal ekg results. I had an ultrasound and a stress test and both were perfectly fine. Will this cause any issues if I wanted to start flying?

My heart is tilted, turned and over to one side just enough to be considered not in the normal place. I also have a left branch bundle block. I also have 3 large arteries instead of two.

My first EKG was done by a doctor that just didn't take time to do his job and read the results before sending it in.

As a result I had to undergo a few test to prove to the FAA medical folks that I really do have a heart. After the testing, all I found out was my heart is out of place enough just to be not normal.

But I got blessings from Oklahoma on the phone, no special issuance, no heart disease, no plaque buildup and I got the first class medical.

I now carry a copy of the complete report so any doctor I go to can read and see what is going on inside me before an examination. The next EKG went a whole lot smoother.

For your case I would find a AME that also specializes in difficult medical certificates and ask him before applying for a medical.

Good luck to you, we are all counting on you.

At minimum, the FAA will want to see all records of your testing, and a letter from the doctors on your case thoroughly summarizing the details of what brought you to testing, what the were seeking, how you were tested, and their findings.

Cardiac items and issues are not a small thing with the FAA. Seeking the help of a Senior AME who is well established and successful with issuing airmen with cardiac issues can aid your success.

For sure do not submit to a live on record exam with an AME until you have had a consultative off the record Senior AME that I mentioned above. Doing so will aid in being issued the first go around, and avoid being deferred or worse denied because you bimbed into the exam ill prepared.

Good advice, except for one thing: a Senior AME may not be a good Difficult Case AME. I believe Senior AME status only means that they can do 1st Class exams. My very first AME was a "senior", but he was also a Dr. D. Furral.

Best to ask around for someone who has a rep as a pilot advocate.

Good point, Azure. Thanks for the correction.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back