Two clicks on the PTT...

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Does this equate to "roger"?

I did three practice ILS approaches last Thursday, and after the final vector and clearance, I read it back and the controller responed with "readback correct."

The final trip around, he responded with two clicks of the PTT. Is this considered "roger, readback correct" in this context?

Bill Jennings said:
interesting that a controller would do it...

It's a bad idea and I wouldn't accept it and have never heard of it in the USA from a controller. Canadian pilots use a lot of mic clicking (one click to acknowledge) when VFR but haven't heard them when IFR.

Bill Jennings said:
It did in the Army. And I've heard military pilots use a double click to acknowledge recently. I don't think it would be appropriate for ATC to use, though.

RotaryWingBob said:
It did in the Army. And I've heard military pilots use a double click to acknowledge recently. I don't think it would be appropriate for ATC to use, though.

I too am surprised that ATC would do this. I will occasionally use the double click to acknowlege something that I'm not really required to respond to, and also to acknowlege a late landing clearance when I'm busy slowing the plane down on short final.

HPNFlyGirl said:
I had someone at GWW the other day tell me to click the PTT to acknowledge.

Was it ATC telling you to do that?

IMHO it is a poor practice as it really does not idicate that 'you' are acknowledging. It could just be someone else hitting their PTT. But during ASR appraches I have had ATC tell me either 'no need to acknowledge further transmissions' or use the double click. But that happens on my very own frequency with ATC so no one else will be there to interfere.

We were just talking about this today. IMO, it is bad form to double click when a simple acknowlegement using your callsign would be more effective. While I have known many pilots using double clicks to 'communicate' I have never heard ATC doing this. I guess it depends upon the level of familiarity 'tween the pilot and ATC.

I have heard tower do the two click thing, but it's only been in a situation where we said thanks, or have a nice day or something along those lines. Never for a clearance or instructions.

Bill Jennings said:
The final trip around, he responded with two clicks of the PTT. Is this considered "roger, readback correct" in this context?

How do you know that was him?
Seriously, were you the only airplane for 50 miles?

smigaldi said:
Was it ATC telling you to do that?

IMHO it is a poor practice as it really does not idicate that 'you' are acknowledging. It could just be someone else hitting their PTT. But during ASR appraches I have had ATC tell me either 'no need to acknowledge further transmissions' or use the double click. But that happens on my very own frequency with ATC so no one else will be there to interfere.

No it wasn't ATC. It was just a guy at the FBO being helpful telling us the winds and active runway & I was the only person in the pattern.

We used it in the military. It served as a handy shorthand acknowledgement, and would not be used for anything that required a confirmation or readback of critical information.

"Grey Ghost 010, Jolly Roger 114 is RTB"
"Roger, 114. See ya on deck."
"click click"

Now on the other hand...
"Streetcar 313, you are Warning Red, Weapons Tight"
would never be answered with a "click click"

Richard said:
We were just talking about this today. IMO, it is bad form to double click when a simple acknowlegement using your callsign would be more effective. While I have known many pilots using double clicks to 'communicate' I have never heard ATC doing this. I guess it depends upon the level of familiarity 'tween the pilot and ATC.

Is it ok to double click the PTT when you hear someone ask at an untowered airport "any traffic in the area please advise?"

:D:DCouldn't resist:D:D

I "solo solo'd" on xmas day at RDU (Class C). After the controller cleared me to land after touch and goes on every rwy but 14 I wished her a merry X-mas ...her response was a double click.

I've had BNA approach and departure (normally the same controller) double click me several times. Each time was when there was little traffic and "appropriate" or no response was necessary in my opinion.

One example:
APP: bugsmasher 123 decend to 3,000 feet, expect 20 center
Me: 3,000, expect 20 center, bugsmasher 123
APP: click click

Another:
Dep: bugsmasher 123 contact Memphis center on 123.45
Me: 123.45 bugsmasher 123, good day
Dep: click click

Let'sgoflying! said:
How do you know that was him?
Seriously, were you the only airplane for 50 miles?
  1. He was not working any other airplanes that I could hear (now he could have been working both app frequencies)
  2. The two previous ILS practice approaches, he acknowledged my clearance readback properly.
  3. On the third, I got two clicks immediately after the readback, and no verbal responce, and no prodding to re-readback the clearance.
Could have been someone else, but I doubt it.

gkainz said:
We used it in the military. It served as a handy shorthand acknowledgement, and would not be used for anything that required a confirmation or readback of critical information.

"Grey Ghost 010, Jolly Roger 114 is RTB"
"Roger, 114. See ya on deck."
"click click"

Now on the other hand...
"Streetcar 313, you are Warning Red, Weapons Tight"
would never be answered with a "click click"

App: "Bugsmasher 12345 turn left heading 230, descend and maintain 2500 until established, cleared ILS runway 20 approach.

Me: " 345 left 230, descend and maintain 2500 until established, cleared ILS 20 approach"

App: "click click"

Once I was established on the inbound course, I was told to contact tower.

Bill Jennings said:
Once I was established on the inbound course, I was told to contact tower.

At least they didn't tell you contact tower when you got on the ground...DO YOU HAVE THE NUMBER!!!!! :rofl:

kevin47881 said:
Maybe it's a Tennessee thing Bill :dunno:

Possibly. I keep forgettin' your up there, we should do some flyin' sometime.

Bill Jennings said:
Possibly. I keep forgettin' your up there, we should do some flyin' sometime.

I'm good most any weekend. Let me know what's good for you. Always looking forward to busting some bugs.

Bill Jennings said:

I did three practice ILS approaches last Thursday, and after the final vector and clearance, I read it back and the controller responed with "readback correct."

Yes. It is unofficial and not recognized as proper proceedure, but the double click works as an affirmative.

I'll chime in and ditto what Greg Kainz said. Unofficial, and used on occasion in place of a "roger" to a non-critical comment. I've hear tower controllers use it and even approach controllers. But it was always in response to something not related to the safety of the flight. And I think to be precise, it would be an acknowledgment, not a reply in the affirmative.

smigaldi said:
Is it ok to double click the PTT when you hear someone ask at an untowered airport "any traffic in the area please advise?"

:D:DCouldn't resist:D:D

Well... a zipper (the USAF term for that infamous double click... which is official and necessary in comm jamming situations<g>) is a great tool, not official FAA procedure though....

As for the guy who is asking that 'traffic please advise'.... your advice should be to LISTEN to the radio... and keep your eyes open for the non-transmitting traffic....

Too much radio chatter jams the frequency and requires the zipper to fit in edgwise<g>.

I'll have to confess I did this last weekend at 18V. An incoming pilot self announced and asked which runway was in use as I was departing the pattern. I responded that winds were calm when I had taken off. He thanked me for the info and instead of tieng up the frequency anymore, I just double clicked. I know its bad form, but I'm sure he understood I was acknowledging his thank you.

Anthony said:
I'll have to confess I did this last weekend at 18V. An incoming pilot self announced and asked which runway was in use as I was departing the pattern. I responded that winds were calm when I had taken off. He thanked me for the info and instead of tieng up the frequency anymore, I just double clicked. I know its bad form, but I'm sure he understood I was acknowledging his thank you.
I dpn't think it's bad form in that context, Anthony. It's a quick (bandwidth saving) way to make a non-critical acknowlegment. Instead of sating "thank you" or "you're welcome" a double click works just as well...

Yeah, that "any traffic please advise" makes me grind my teeth. Young pilots hear someone say that, then they start copying them. If everyone simply monitored and made position reports, the infamous "any traffic..." cliche would be shown for what it is.

Back