Two arrested for flying drone near NYPD helicopter

So is Timmy allowed to toss a frisbee or football near DIA? Give the size of the TFR around austin, there are going to lots of people in trouble who did not even know they are subject to the TFR. How many dads check the TFR site before heading out to shoot off some estes rockets with Timmy?

Please re-read the details of the TFR. It explicitly lists aviation activities that are prohibited. TFRs only relate to aviation/FAA rules.

A lot of people feel the same about small piston powered airplanes. I for one am not ready to join the naysayers who feel that anything they don't do shouldn't be allowed.

I do believe that some regulation is needed but for the most part keeping them below 400 AGL, within sight of the operator, and away from airports and manned aircraft should be sufficient.

+1

:thumbsup:

I do believe that some regulation is needed but for the most part keeping them below 400 AGL, within sight of the operator, and away from airports and manned aircraft should be sufficient.

That statement is laughable, at best.
A quick search of Youtube came up with many videos of tri and quadcopters taking video at FAR above 400' AGL. One even had 8000' in the title.
If anyone believes for a minute that operators of these things will keep them below 400', regardless of whether or not there's a rule against higher, they're completely nuts.
And if the only way they can be sold is to have some sort of altitude limiting design, it'll be hacked within minutes of being unboxed.

...And if the only way they can be sold is to have some sort of altitude limiting design, it'll be hacked within minutes of being unboxed.

As I said, that's true but first there has to be the regulatory basis to force the Chinese manufacturers of these devices to comply with those limiting parameters. After that there has to be severe consequences for violating the limits. A good example of how it may eventually play out is - try pointing a typical consumer bought Laser at an aircraft in flight and see what might happen to you if you get caught.

These things are new and there is a potential for an explosive increase in their numbers but as the numbers and usage increase so does their exposure. In the end this will most likely be the death of them because people are simply not going to put up with noisy little quadcopter drones buzzing around in the air above them. I see a future where these devices will most likely be highly regulated.

I'm not a big fan of regulation but a jerk with a can of spray paint can screw things up for the rest of us. I guess it's always been that way.

You really need to do a bit more research before making these pronouncements...

...Nope, I think the misinformation is in your post.

No, I'm pretty sure you're the one with the wrong information.

Where are you getting this info, because what you posted doesn't describe a Predator at all. One of my friends is an engineer who works on the things every day, and they do indeed use a Rotax engine. He recently took a business trip to Germany to meet with Rotax in person. They are also most definitely prop driven, not turbofan. Those specs look to be for an entirely different aircraft.

This is looking a lot more accurate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Atomics_MQ-1_Predator

General characteristics

Crew: none on-board
Length: 27 ft (8.22 m)
Wingspan: 48.7 ft (14.8 m); MQ-1B Block 10/15: 55.25 ft (16.84 m))
Height: 6.9 ft (2.1 m)
Wing area: 123.3 sq ft[100] (11.5 m²)
Empty weight: 1,130 lb[99] (512 kg)
Loaded weight: 2,250 lb (1,020 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 2,250 lb[99] (1,020 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 914F turbocharged four-cylinder engine, 115 hp[99] (86 kW)
Performance

Maximum speed: 135 mph (117 knots, 217 km/h)
Cruise speed: 81–103 mph (70–90 knots, 130–165 km/h)
Stall speed: 62 mph (54 knots, 100 km/h) (dependent on aircraft weight)
Range: 675 nmi (675 mi or 1,100 km) [101]
Endurance: 24 hours[1]
Service ceiling: 25,000 ft[99] (7,620 m)

Last edited:
Global Hawk and a Predator are two different things. Niether one is going to be orbiting in an area that would affect a helicopter as in the OP either.

General characteristics

• Crew: 0 onboard (3 remote: LRE pilot; MCE pilot and sensor operator)
  • Length: 47.6 ft (14.5 m)
  • Wingspan: 130.9 ft (39.9 m)
  • Height: 15.3 ft (4.7 m)
  • Empty weight: 14,950 lb (6,781 kg)
  • Gross weight: 32,250 lb (14,628 kg)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Rolls-Royce F137-RR-100 turbofan engine, 7,600 lbf (34 kN) thrust
Performance

• Cruise speed: 357 mph (310 kn; 575 km/h)
  • Range: 8,700 mi (7,560 nmi; 14,001 km)
  • Endurance: 28 hours
  • Service ceiling: 60,000 ft (18,288 m)
Is this the one the Iranians hijacked the control signal and stole from the USA? Or the one where the Taliban were watching the video feed with the Russian software because they forgot to encrypt the video?

Is this the one the Iranians hijacked the control signal and stole from the USA? Or the one where the Taliban were watching the video feed with the Russian software because they forgot to encrypt the video?

Negative and negative.

No, I'm pretty sure you're the one with the wrong information.

Where are you getting this info, because what you posted doesn't describe a Predator at all. One of my friends is an engineer who works on the things every day, and they do indeed use a Rotax engine. He recently took a business trip to Germany to meet with Rotax in person. They are also most definitely prop driven, not turbofan. Those specs look to be for an entirely different aircraft.

This is looking a lot more accurate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Atomics_MQ-1_Predator

I never mentioned the Predator drone, that was yetti's assumption. Go back and read my post referring to a UAV the size of a 737. And my info comes from the USAF documents.

Umm, the post YOU quoted specifically mentions a Predator, with a rotax engine. You then post specs for something entirely different. How are we supposed to know what you're talking about?

There's a lot of mis-information about that "drone" (poor choice of words). Its highly unlikely that model could reach 800ft nevermind 2000ft and still be controlled. They weren't using FPV and the range of the control is line of site. You would not be able to see it at 2000ft and barely see it at 800ft given its size. Flight time as he stated in the video would be a max of 15 min and that would be extreme. Running the batteries that deep would be very bad for the life of the batteries which is the EXPENSIVE part of that model. Something the owner is unlikely to do. 8-10 min is probably the reality of the situation.

I'd be interested to see the video from the model. It would likely show a different story than that of the officers.

Listen to the audio and tell me if you think that's still the case.
http://www.liveatc.net/forums/atcav...ar-miss-with-drone-at-night-leads-to-arrests/
I listened to it. I'm not sure what was supposed to change my mind. I didn't hear anyone report that they were in danger or taking any evasive manuevers. So in that sense, the the recording does not corroborate the police report. OTOH, I did hear them report a 2,000 ft in 2 sec climb. Which I seriously doubt is possible. I suspect much more likely is that the observers fell victim to an optical illusion based on believing that the lighted object they were observing that larger (and therefore farther away) than it actually was.

In the middle of the recording, the cops are saying they don't even know if or what crime was committed. The closest the pilot reports getting to the drone is within three city blocks.

So, yeah, I stand by my prior statements.

It would be nice if the FAA would do some tests to see if your theory is a good one. I would suggest they would bounce off and leave a nice dent.

An strong engined quadcopter with carbon fiber props can cut both thin metal sheets as well as plastic (besides human flesh). It can also break your windshield. A heavier one, with an SLR camera or bigger video camera can also weigh enough so that in a 100 knot collision it can break a lot of things.

Above 400 feet is probably not as fun to fly them.
Oh yes it is, loads of fun!

How about the FAA turn on ADSB all the time and equip the model airplanes with a ADSB out. It would only cost about $50.00 in the model airplane world.

Where and how do you get a $50 ADS-B?!

As I said, that's true but first there has to be the regulatory basis to force the Chinese manufacturers of these devices to comply with those limiting parameters.

One of the most popular software platforms is Arducopter, which is open source software which everyone compiles from zero using whatever parameters they choose to. No manufacturer controls that. Most other platforms are also fully configurable. The Chinese and Mexicans just make the hardware to chich you load any software you choose.

DJI from recent versions does have the no fly zones built into their software: http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc although the database is buggy as hell.

Its highly unlikely that model could reach 800ft nevermind 2000ft and still be controlled. You would not be able to see it at 2000ft and barely see it at 800ft given its size. Flight time as he stated in the video would be a max of 15 min and that would be extreme.

You can see your quad quite OK at 800 ft, although it would be small. Above that, first you have telemetry, so you can see the location and all other parameters on your mobile or computer. Second many fly the quads in programmed mode according to waypoints and flight plans, without any line of sight.

15 min is pretty doable even with 2200-2400 mAh batteries. Many use 5400 mAh or so and 20-30 minutes is quite doable. But that's for a quad. On an Arduplane you can do times more than that thanks to wing lift.

Back